Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Newly Diagnosed
dcooley414 posted:
My husband is 53 years old and was just diagnosed, this week, with hep c, genotype 3A. The doctor told him he has cirrhosis of the liver and an enlarged spleen. He also told him that there is nothing they can do to treat the hep c because he has very low blood platelet counts (something we've been battling all summer.) We are awaiting another round of tests to come in that will tell us what stage the cirrhosis is at.

We have so many questions and we won't be seeing the doctor for another 4 weeks. What happens if hep c is left untreated? Does the cirrhosis get worse? What kind of prognosis does this leave us with????

If there is someone out there that might have some guidance for us, please, respond!

Thank you!

deniseward responded:
First, genotype 3A is one of the genotypes that responds very well to treatment and, I believe, has a shorter treatment period. Regarding the low platelets, blood transfusion can help. I am on treatment and take a weekly shot of procrit to try and keep my red cells and platelets up and I am always in the critically low range. Since it has been scientifically proven that while on treatment no further damage to the liver occurs. I use to tell my support groups, it is sort of like putting a glass bubble around the liver which prevents the virus from attacking it during treatment. Cirrhosis does not go away. It may or may not get worse. Your husband can die from cirrhosis tomorrow or in a car crash, you just don't know. Some people have cirrhosis for 50 years and never even know it. When I was diagnosed in 1997 I had a doctor tell me that I would be dead in 6 months. I truly thought about suicide until I found a doctor who treated Hep C patients and was so informative and basically saved my life. I am genotype 1a and each of my treatments lasted for a full year. They are hard but I truly believe I am still here because I gave my liver "breaks" from being attacked. I am also a non-sustained responder. Based on my experience, I highly recommend that you find a doctor who treats and works with Hep C patients. If you can't find one, look up a local support group and have the recommend a doctor to you. Best of luck and keep us posted

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.