Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Newly Diagnosed
dcooley414 posted:
My husband is 53 years old and was just diagnosed, this week, with hep c, genotype 3A. The doctor told him he has cirrhosis of the liver and an enlarged spleen. He also told him that there is nothing they can do to treat the hep c because he has very low blood platelet counts (something we've been battling all summer.) We are awaiting another round of tests to come in that will tell us what stage the cirrhosis is at.

We have so many questions and we won't be seeing the doctor for another 4 weeks. What happens if hep c is left untreated? Does the cirrhosis get worse? What kind of prognosis does this leave us with????

If there is someone out there that might have some guidance for us, please, respond!

Thank you!

oldtiff47 responded:
WE ARE ALL SO VERY DIFFERENT....THE LABS ARE VERY IMPORTANT....YOU MD KNOWS BEST...

PERHAPS CALL AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET IN SOONER. OR PERHAPS CALL TO SEE IF HE COULD TALK TO BOTH OF YOU.

YOU COULD ALSO GET ANOTHER OPINION.

SORRY I COULD NOT HELP MORE.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

dcooley414 replied to oldtiff47's response:
Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.

We can't go in earlier as there are no appointments available, I tried. Again, thanks so much for your post.

Donna

oldtiff47 replied to dcooley414's response:
SEE IF YOU COULD TALK TO HIS NURSE.....OR PERHAPS HIS PA NURSE....I FOUND MY PA SO VERY MUCH HELP AND EASIER TO TALK TO THAN THE MD....SHE HAD SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE TO HELP ME....I LEARNED SO MUCH FROM HER...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

An_254141 responded:
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. First, I would find another doctor right away - one who has a background of treating Hep C. Secondly, genotype 3A is one of the genotypes that responds very well to treatment. Here some additional information. As far as the very low platelet counts, as the doctor for either a blood transfusion to put your hubby on a regiment of Procrit which helps with the red cells. The liver is a very interesting organ. It is one of the few organs that can regenerate itself (you can actually receive just a portion of a good liver and that portion will grow and operate as a normal healthy liver). While the cirrhosis will not get better, it certainly can get worse. One thing about a liver is you never know when it is going to fail - it can fail tomorrow or years down the road, or he can die in an accident. HOWEVER, there are scientific studies that have shown that while on treatment, the virus DOES NOT attack the liver - basically, while you are on treatment it is sort of like a glass bubble protects the liver and the virus itself cannot attack and do any additional damage to the liver hile on treatment. I have Hep C, genotype 1A and cirrhosis of the liver. I was diagnosed in 1997 and this is my 3rd attempt at treatment. For me, while I am on treatment the virus goes negative and my liver has a chance to "breath" Unfortunately, I am a non-sustain responder (maybe the 3rd time is the charm). Treatment is not easy and there are many meds to fight the side effects but its worth it in the long run. I truly believe it is because I have gone through these treatments that I am still alive. Good luck and I suggest seeing another doctor who works with Hep C patients.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.