Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

recently diagnosed with AIH
victoria417 posted:
I was diagnosed in January 2014 with AIH. I am very concerned about my life expectancy as i have two young children. There is no family history of auto immune diseases and I was completely healthy prior to Jan. My GI prescribed 40mg prednisone and 50mg azathioprine. My AST and ALT have started to come down. What is the quality of life with this disease? Is there anything I can do to get it in remission? Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. thank you.

mrrossmiller responded:
Hi victoria417 , I am quite new to this forum as well. I was diagnosed with AIH of the liver and have PCB 3rd stage Liver failure, I was on both the meds you are currently on. I don;t have much info for you. But the fact your numbers are coming down is good! Mine haven't come down in 2 years. My doc had me on 50mg of prednizone awhile back.....be sure that it's a temporary med, it's not meant for long term use and has bad side effects if taken too long.

I think the worst side effect I have from this disease is pain in my liver, and extreme fatigue. It feels like someone is beating me up from the inside. I have 2 children and some days are better than others but I think our life is pretty normal.... My advice is do what you can, take it day to day and don't beat yourself up when you can't accomplish all you want.

Take care- Mary

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.