Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Interpretation of HCV biopsy & FibroSURE Results
An_257333 posted:
I recently had a biopsy and a FibroSURE test done for my HCV condition. The results are as follows:

FibroSURE test: Fibrosis stage F3-bridging fibrosis with many septa; Necroinflammat activity grade A1-A2.

Biopsy: mild activity and with mild portal fibrosis (Scheuer classification: Grade 2/4; Stage 1/4)

I have questions for people who are knowledgeable in this area:

What are 2/4 and 1/4 in the above Scheuer classification? I can understand Grade 2 or Stage 1 but I can't figure out the "/4" part.

Am I right in thinking that the biopsy test is a better indication of my liver condition than the FibroSURE test? The two tests are using different grading systems but the results seem quite different. How would the results compare if they were both using the same grading system?

Thanks.

oldtiff47 responded:
IT WOULD BEST YOU ASK YOU MD ABOUT THE RESULTS. I FOR ONE WOULD TRUST THE BX(BIOPSY) ABOVE ANYTHING ELSE. MY BX SHOWED STAGE 4 AND MY HIGHEST ALT EVER WAS IN THE 60'S....

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

znobs responded:
I think I got this thing figured out. The "/4" simply indicates the number of grades or stages. So, 'stage 1/4' is saying that out of 4 stages, my liver is stage 1. This good news since I had been going by the FibroSURE score of stage 3 for the past few months. This FibroSure test may be doing more harm than good. The biopsy result of stage 1 is consistent with another biopsy I had about 15 yrs ago. It looks like my HCV has not progressed much during that time. In general only 5% of people with HCV will die from it. If you compare this with 10% chance that you will die from a medical mistake, it makes since that for many HCV treatment is worse than the disease.

oldtiff47 replied to znobs's response:
ONE NEVER KNOWS FOR SURE TX OR NOT TX. BUT I AM GLAD I DID AS IS MY STAGE 4 LIVER.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.