Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Plasma donation
jhagen84 posted:
I have been donating plasma since November of 2013. When I went in to donate this week, I was informed that I have been deferred because I tested positive for a hepatitis B antigen. I was immunized for hepatitis B about 15 years ago. Since November of 2013, I have not participated in any kind of "risky" behavior. I have annual physicals and have not had any symptoms. I was informed by the medical staff at the plasma donation site that this could very well be a false positive and that they are not diagnosing me with hepatitis B. What does this all mean?

atti_editor responded:
Hi jhagen84,

Here is some information on hepatitis B blood tests from the Hepatitis B Foundation that briefly discusses false positives. It could be that you have acute hepatitis B (most adults who get hepatitis B have this form that goes away after a short while). Here is some more information . It may be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor for more testing to determine if your previous test was a false positive and what, if anything you need to do. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.