Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Plasma donation
jhagen84 posted:
I have been donating plasma since November of 2013. When I went in to donate this week, I was informed that I have been deferred because I tested positive for a hepatitis B antigen. I was immunized for hepatitis B about 15 years ago. Since November of 2013, I have not participated in any kind of "risky" behavior. I have annual physicals and have not had any symptoms. I was informed by the medical staff at the plasma donation site that this could very well be a false positive and that they are not diagnosing me with hepatitis B. What does this all mean?

atti_editor responded:
Hi jhagen84,

Here is some information on hepatitis B blood tests from the Hepatitis B Foundation that briefly discusses false positives. It could be that you have acute hepatitis B (most adults who get hepatitis B have this form that goes away after a short while). Here is some more information . It may be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor for more testing to determine if your previous test was a false positive and what, if anything you need to do. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Grapefruit Juice-Simple
There has been a study at the Boston MA Hospital about pure and simple grapefruit juice. It WORKS!!!!! I have been on 3 txs including ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful