Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Hep C, Cirrhosis, thrombocytopenia (low platelets) & meth
An_257652 posted:
Help! I need some answers! If anyone can offer some insight I would really appreciate it.

Husband has hep C, cirrhosis, severely low blood platelets and is using crystal meth. He is refusing to undergo treatment for the hep C and the low platelets (platelets are less than 20,000.) He is having to wear compression stockings daily, as well, as he is having terrible pains in his legs. He has made his mind up that he's just going to enjoy his days. I'm trying to get him in to see a cardiologist to check on the leg issue - to see if it's cardiac or something else.

I know that people can live many, many years with the hep c and cirrhosis. I know that the extreme low platelets puts him at great risk of intracranial hemorrhage or other types of bleeds.

He will not tell the doctors that he is using meth and will not allow me to have a discussion with the doctor about his prognosis with making the decision to not be treated for anything. Actually, he is refusing to see any more doctors. He is not bed ridden, he's up, moving around, working every day.

I guess my big question is how fast does the meth (I have not a clue about drugs -- never been a user) accelerate the cirrhosis? I mean could he live years and years or maybe 5, 10, ???? years? I've been trying to research this information but the information is very ambiguous when it comes to "not" treating these conditions.

I may be asking way too much here regarding anyone who could talk to me about this.

Thank you.

oldtiff47 responded:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2675873/

http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/mt/archives/2008/07/popular_illegal.html

HERE ARE SOME SITES THAT MAY HELP YOU. IT SEEMS TO ME HE DOES NOT WANT HELP.

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE CARE OF SELF.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.