Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

New meds for Hep C?
Anon_148356 posted:
Recently, I have been hearing about a new med for Hep C. I was told it was a pill that you take for a short amount of time, but that it is just in the first stages and very expensive.

Has anyone else heard of this? I have been away from the site for a while and not quite sure if this has been discussed or not. So please forgive me asking this if it has already been answered on another discussion. Thank you

oldtiff47 responded:
OPPS I POSTED THIS IN WRONG THREAD SO SORRY.

I WISH I KNEW MORE ABOUT THE NEW TX BUT I DO NOT....I DID A GOOGLE SEARCH. HERE IS WHAT I FOUND....BUT TALK TO YOUR MD PLEASE......

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/new-drugs-offer-easier-effective-hepatitis-c-treatment-201404247125

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

socalsurvivor responded:
There are actually two new pills that have been approved by the FDA. Their common names are Solvaldi and Oylsio. Taken together one a day for 12 weeks they have been proven to have a 90% success rate at killing the HEP C virus. Currently most doctors will only prescribe one of the two in combination with interferon or ribavirin. However, if you have had an allergic response to these older class drugs or failed to see results from them, your doctor can and should appeal your case to your Insurance Provider requesting approval for you to receive Solvaldi and Oylsio for use alone for the 12 week course. The reason this authorization must be done prior to receiving medication is due to the cost. Both medications are available and FDA approved. But the FDA has not set the standard protocol for the use of theses drugs without the addition of the older class of drugs. At present there are only a small handful of HEP C patients taking this new course of treatments outside of the clinical trails. I am grateful to be one of those people and hope that my treatment will be successful and lead the way for a world wide recovery and end to this epidemic.

oldtiff47 replied to socalsurvivor's response:
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP IT IS MUCH NEEDED HERE.
SOCAL DID YOU COME HERE BEFORE WITH DIFFERENT NAME? PLEASE KEEP COMING YOU ARE SO NEEDED HERE.

THESE ODDS BEAT MY 30% CHANCE I HAD15 YEARS AGO. ( I DID CLEAR)

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

ehines7 replied to socalsurvivor's response:
I have with -in this last month gone to the Mayo clinic near me and spoken with a Dr. there and I got the same indication as you did Socalsurvivor... yet the Dr. I saw recommended that I wait till October of this year as that is when an even newer Medication is to be release I think as an alternative to the combination Sovaldi & Oylsio... However only the Solvaldi is one of these medications.I may be incorrect but I think the new Durg is Declatasuir.. (or is this the other name for Simeprevir)
The Treatment program is a 12 week program with out shots... and has a very high % rate of clearing the virus from the body I hear alot about the word "cured" being floated around.. and I think that it is a very individual thing and depends on if you have other liver issues as well....The cost of the Treatment for the 1 pill on the Market is Extremely expensive and I am on Social Security Disability.. when checking with my Health insurance plan I found my Dr. Must submit in advance a request for this medication as it is a Tier 5 medicine.I do not believe a price has been set for the Medication that is due out in October..
Most Excellent for you Socalsurvivor
and I hope you are correct that your participation will help to eradicate this virus from us all Your New is very encouraging!! Please do keep us informed....

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.