Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
High AST Blood Test Result?
Dan23455 posted:
I'm 39, male, and I've just gotten bloodwork back and everything looks great except for a 'High' AST blood test result which I find confusing. Normal range is 0-40 and mine is 84. I drink maybe 2-4 drinks/week if that, haven't been ill in months, have never had a transfusion or been a IV drug user, and feel very healthy. Yes, 15-25 years ago I partied like a rock star, but haven't gone crazy like that since. If AST is used as a measure of organ health, any idea as to what might be wrong with me? My Dr. sent me back for a Hepatitis A, B, C blood test so we'll see what that says. Thanks, Dan

oldtiff47 responded:
PLEASE TRY NOT TO WORRY TILL YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHAT TO WORRY ABOUT....AND DO KEEP US POSTED WHAT YOU FIND OUT.....HOW WAS YOUR ALT ?

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 responded:
AST not only indicates liver damage but also heart kidneys pancreas and muscle tissue --- ALT is a more liver specific enzyme - do you know your ALT result

Dan23455 replied to oldtiff47's response:
Hi there. Not so much worried as confused. My ALT was 51. Will update when I know more. Only thing I can think of that would be muscle related would be that I joined a gym last week and have been working out for about 1 hour each day if that would elevate that particular test?

Dan23455 replied to billm57's response:
Hi there. Not so much worried as confused. My ALT was 51. Will update when I know more. Only thing I can think of that would be muscle related would be that I joined a gym last week and have been working out for about 1 hour each day if that would elevate that particular test?

billm57 replied to Dan23455's response:
im not sure if working out would raise it that high - maybe bruising or pulling muscle would - ill see if i can find more

Susie2009 replied to Dan23455's response:
Dan, as Bill said, there are many things that elevate the transaminases and ALT is much more specific than AST. We had a scare a while back when my husband's AST elevated but it proved to be working out because when he stopped it fell right back to normal levels. I think it is smart to do the antibody tests for hep A, B, and C, just to make sure and put your mind at ease.

billm57 replied to Susie2009's response:
cool - thanks for that susie

Dan23455 responded:
Hi again,
OK, the hep tests came back all negative so that rules that out. Dr. told me no alcohol for 3 months and will test again. What's odd about the drinking thing is OK yes I grew up in a small town and drank a lot through high school and until I was around 25 - normal. Pretty much tapered off after that. On the once/year occassion I do drink now I get violently sick if I drink like anything over 6 beers. I mean the kind of sick that you wish you were dead! So whether there's some sort of link I don't know. Will post again in 3 months I guess. Thanks for the discussion. Dan

oldtiff47 replied to Dan23455's response:
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE....DO KEEP US POSTED....NOT ONLY DO YOU LEARN BUT SO DO WE...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to oldtiff47's response:
yes great news - i havent had a drink in almost 13 years after drinking for 30 - sometimes now just the smell of it on someone makes me gag

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
AST and ALT are jointly known as transaminases. They are associated with inflammation and/or injury to liver cells, a condition known as hepatocellular liver injury. Damage to the liver typically results in a leak of AST and ALT into the bloodstream.
Because AST is found in many other organs besides the liver, including the kidneys, the muscles, and the heart, having a high level of AST does not always (but often does) indicate that there is a liver problem. For example, even vigorous exercise may elevate AST levels in the body. On the other hand, because ALT is found primarily in the liver, high levels of ALT almost always indicate that there's a problem with the liver. Conversely, a normal ALT level does not necessarily mean that the liver is definitely normal- but, more about this later.

There are many other factors besides liver injury that could affect the levels of AST and ALT. For example, males have higher transaminase levels than females, African-American men have higher AST levels compared with Caucasian men. Even the time of day that a blood sample is drawn may influence the level of transaminase elevation. People appear to have higher transaminase levels in the morning and afternoon than in the evening. Food intake does not appear to have a significant effect on transaminase levels. Levels do not significantly differ in the fasting and non-fasting state. Finally, transaminase levels may vary from day-to-day.
The ratio of the ALT and AST may also provide useful information regarding the extent and cause of liver disease. Most liver diseases are characterized by greater ALT elevations than AST elevations. Two exceptions to this rule exist. Both cirrhosis and/or alcohol abuse are associated with higher AST levels than ALT levels, often in a ratio of approximately 2:1.
Elevations of the transaminases occur due to so many causes that they give the doctor only a vague clue of the diagnosis. Additional testing is required in order to determine more precisely what is wrong with the liver. Some possible causes of elevated transaminase levels include :
"022 Viral hepatitis
"022 A fatty liver
"022 Alcoholic liver disease
"022 Drug/medication-induced liver disease
"022 Autoimmune hepatitis
"022 Herbal toxicity
"022 Genetic liver diseases
"022 Liver tumors
"022 Heart failure
- Strenuous exercise

DJ1031 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Hi, I am a 28y/o male that has been diagnosed with NASH-non-alcoholic steato-hepatitis. I had my gall bladder removed in Jan of this year and they also did a liver biopsy of both lobes and made the diagnosis. I cant remember exactly what stage it was I think 2 of 3. I just recently had a liver function panel done and my AST level was 100iu/l and my ALT level was 132 iu/l. All my other tests were within range. I am not a drinker and never used IV drugs. Was wondering what others think of this and should my doctor be pursuing this more aggressively.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.