Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
yarukhel posted:
My brother who is about 78 yrs at the moment has been suffering from Hepatitis B for the last about 12 yrs. Since then he has been through various treatments. His LFT became normal and he felt much better about 2 years back as a result of Baraclude medicine after which he stopped taking this medicine on Doctor's advice. Now suddenly, his LFT became highly abnormal. He is feeling pretty unwell also. Ultra sound did not show liver as too bad.On Doctor's advice, he has started Baraclude again. Is this the best option for him under his present condition? Some friends have alsi advised him to take Chinese medicines in addition to Baraclude. Any experience/ views in this regard?
billm57 responded:
ask his dr - some dont recommend tcm while on tx - some might - id wait to see how baraclude works - then try to maintain liver health by complimentary methods - but thats me
yarukhel replied to billm57's response:
What does tcm & tx stand for? Any idea about what all complementary methods can be?

Thanking you
Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
It is not advised to discontinue Baraclude or other nucleoside/tide inhibitors used to treat HBV until a patients seroconverts- meaning his HBsAg becomes negative and his HBsAb becomes positive. This is in addition to having a nondetectable HBVDNA and a positive HBeAb and a negative HBeAg. Without these criteria, the chances of what happened to your brother are almost 100%.
billm57 replied to yarukhel's response:
tcm = traditional chinese medicine --- tx = treatment

some examples of complimentary methods include vitamins antioxidants amino acids and minerals - milk thistle licorice root ginger ginseng certain mushrooms are used in oriental medicine - theres many and varied home remedies - some can be harmful in certain cases - most are liver friendly however

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.