Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

hep c IV drug abuse
hepcbad posted:
looking for anyone who has gone thru withdrawal from opiates( lorcet) with hep c made worse. what kind of symptoms? How long before feeling better? I took lots of lorcet for 3 mos. and quit 6 days ago. My abdomen feels bloated, my liver feels warm and is painful and I'm weak. Got appt. to see Dr. next week. Should I be drinking lots of water? Will some diet help? I'm toughing it out but feel like I'm dying sometimes. Not taking any meds now. Could really use some support from someone who understands recovery from drugs & alcohol. AA is essential for me but can't go till I feel better. Anybody out there?

billm57 responded:
you should be almost through the worst of it - in hindsight its always better to gradually taper off addictive meds than to go cold turkey - drink plenty of water - eat healthy - get plenty of rest

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
You shouldn't try to go through your detox alone. Your body has become accustomed to having this chemical reaction and breaking an addiction to painkillers can be more difficult than you think. Stopping cold turkey can have serious health side effects, as well. Just be safe.

Talk to your doctor, if you haven't already. And definitely find a support group to help you through.

I would encourage your to participate in our Substance Abuse community for even more support. I'm sure the community and expert have other resources they can share.

Stay strong, and let us know how things are going!

Andie

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.