Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Friday Start tx
hawgfan posted:
Got the meds insurance approved, had new baseline labs today, will start pegasys w/ribapack Friday night. Due to low platelets I have to start peg @ 1/2 dose & check blood and increase each week until I'm at full 180mcg on 4th week. Then it's on. The 48 week clock doesn't start ticking until I get to full dosage. You may think I'm crazy but I'm anxious to get started - I can't finish if I don't start.

OLDTIFF47 responded:
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU....AND THE GUIDE WILL HELP YOU....INTERFERON ....SLOW RELEASE OR THE OLD IS THE SAME SIDES...

REMEMBER KEEP MD ON SPEED DIAL....IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS CALL THEM ...IT WILL HELP YOU DO THIS AND DO IT WELL....AS I KNOW YOU WILL

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to OLDTIFF47's response:
keep the positive attitude - it will help you so much

OLDTIFF47 responded:
LET US KNOW HOW YOUR FIRST INJECTION IS DOING...

MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU

TIFF

nolacat responded:
Good Luck to you! Keep us posted how your feeling. I'm probably right behind you within the month. God Speed.

hawgfan replied to OLDTIFF47's response:
Remember I am starting off on 1/2 dose ribapack due to low platelets, but I feel amazingly good. Instead of like the Rebertron in '96 that made me feel like I had been hit by a tsunami filled with dump trucks, I feel strong & energetic. God is good!

OLDTIFF47 replied to hawgfan's response:
OUTSTANDING....HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU ALL DAY...

AFTER MY FIRST 12 WEEKS I FINISHED MY 48 WEEKS AT 3 RIBA PILLS A DAY AND STILL CLEARED....THAT IS ALL THIS OLD BODY COULD HANDLE...NO RESCUE DRUGS THEN...

I THINK OUR BODIES TELL US WHAT WE CAN HANDLE...AND I WAS SURE LUCKY...

TIFF

KEEP US POSTED IT IS IN MY DNA TO WORRY ABOUT ALL......

billm57 replied to hawgfan's response:
as i recall your platelets were near normal - proper ribavirin absorption is critical in early treatment - you should at least get your weight based dose because riba is not responsible for platelet drops - however i hope this works for you - best wishes

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to hawgfan's response:
Ribavirin ( Ribapak) actually raises platelet count not lowers it.

hawgfan replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
2nd day - still good. It is my understanding that the pegasys is a little hard on platelets.

OLDTIFF47 replied to hawgfan's response:
YES PEGASYS IS(INTERFERON).....I THINK WE WERE SOMEWHAT CONFUSED WHEN YOU SAID RIBA PACK WE WERE THINKING THE PILLS...

GREAT THINGS ARE GOOD......

TIFF

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to hawgfan's response:
Studies have confirmed that the initial exposure to interferon and ribavirin during month one, is the most important time of treatment. So it is best to have therapeutic dosages during this time and dose adjust at a later point. Starting at lower dosages and increasing with time will likely translate into a lower likelihood of viral clearance and ultimately a lower chance of cure.

hawgfan replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
I have forwarded this to my doc. Thanks.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.