Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Sexually Transmit Meds?
hawgfan posted:
2nd week of pegasys / ribapak. Wife is interested to know if the meds (&maybe side effects) can be sexually xmitted. Logic is, if the meds are in my blood &...

OLDTIFF47 responded:
I FEEL THE MD NEEDS TO ANSWER THIS ONE FOR SURE...INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT SHE SAYS...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

autotech1700 responded:
I am also in my 2'nd week of Pegasys/ribavirin so don't take this as gospel ,but my wife also had this concern and asked the lecturer at the Pegasys class the same question. His reply was that (some) of the meds will be passed through sperm. I think this is why thet are so concerned about pregnancy. Definitely ask your doctor tho. Good luck to you and God bless.

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to autotech1700's response:
Ribavirin is teratogenic ( capable of causing fetal abnormalities). The concentration of ribavirin in semen has been found to be twice as high as that in the blood. Therefore, contraception is mandatory during antiviral combination therapy, whether the man or woman is being treated.

hawgfan replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
No chance of pregnancy, wife had hysterectomy years ago but what we are mainly concerned with is, even yet, if I pass the meds thru my semen, could she possibly experience other side effects of the riba or peg?

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to hawgfan's response:
no

MLG63 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
I'm not on medication but I worry that my husband refusses to use protection even though I've had hep C through half our marriage. He and my boys were all checked as soon as I was diagnosed, they were negatjve. I was told there were no false neg. resulte, only false positives. How often should they all get checked?

OLDTIFF47 replied to MLG63's response:
I HAVE BEEN MARRIED 44 YEARS TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE AND HE DOES NOT HAVE MY HCV... HE WAS CHECKED ONCE....OUR ADULT DAUGHTERS AND I SHARED RAZORS TILL I FOUND OUT I HAVE IT...NOT ONE OF THEM HAVE IT...ONE OF THEM HAS DONATED 54 UNITS OF BLOOD...ONE IS A REGISTERED BONE MARROW DONOR HOPING TO BE NEEDED SOME DAY...

I FEEL THEY ARE DOING THIS IN MY HONOR BECAUSE THEY KNOW HEPPERS NEEDS...NO NOT ME EVER...I AM FINE...

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to MLG63's response:
You only need to be checked if there was blood-to-blood contact.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.