Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Antibiotic and Hepatitis C
Simeaze posted:
Hi Doctor I have a question regarding antibiotic and pain reliever with Hepatitis C. I have had it for 30 years and have nodules throughout my liver, am having bloodwork every 6 months and MRI yearly and watching evrything that goes into my body. I am having a DOT laser procedure done voluntarily and they will be prescribing a antibiotic and pain reliever. What is liver friendly since my liver is very fragil at this point. What would you suggest that is safe? Thank you

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
The best pain reliever for those with liver disease is acetaminaphen in moderation < 3-4 gms/day. Those without cirrhosis typically are safe to take a NSAID, but those with cirrhosis should avoid NSAIDs like motrin aleve etc.

ndluv2 responded:
there's an actual pain pill called roxicodone and all it is is percocet w/out the tylenol thats also an opption if the pain is more sever than an nsiad can handle

billm57 responded:
are these meds being prescribed just for the dot procedure - if so its not a real big deal - long term use of roxicodone (oxycodone) is not a good idea if your liver is very fragile - its also as addictive as oxycontin i have herniated discs and arthritis and only take tylenol most of the time --- most antibiotics are ok

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.