Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Long Term Treatment Side Effect
7BillionHumansGeez posted:
Has anyone had a similar situation or had a discussion on this issue with their doctor?: 48 weeks of Standard of Care (Pegylated Interferon/Ribavirin -- SOC) with anemia and neutropenia problems -- Procrit and Neupogen for 40 weeks. Had thrush due to low white blood cell count the whole time with dry mouth, metallic taste and mouth burning sensations. Relapsed 3 months after treatment and found I have lost my ability to taste anything -- can't tell the difference between a chick pea and a carrot except for texture and the way it looks! Don't know if this effect is due to SOC meds or thrush. Used to like to cook but now, what's the point? Anyone have suggestions?

An_192631 responded:
I've completed two rounds of treatment for 48 weeks each. Once with pegasys, ribavirian, and once with peg-intron , ribivirian, procrit and neupogen. I lost my sense of smell. I have also been diagansed with Parkinson's. Makes me wonder coincidence or long-term side effect??????????????

billm57 responded:
3 rounds and never did procrit or neupogen and never had long term sides - i do have some issues with taste ( smell ) but it seems to be fading - it can take awhile but should resolve with time

billm57 replied to An_192631's response:
parkinsons is not a complication of tx

7BillionHumansGeez replied to An_192631's response:
I know of other people who developed Parkinson's after treatment but their docs said it wasn't related to the treatment. However, there have been some studies done because docs have noticed an increase in the number of people with Parkinson's symptoms after treatment. Check this: http://journals.lww.com/eurojgh/Abstract/2010/05000/Parkinsonism_in_patients_with_chronic_hepatitis_C.20.aspx

billm57 replied to 7BillionHumansGeez's response:
some other links to parkinsons are viral and bacterial infections - also pesticides and genetic ties - idiopathic parkinsons has no known cause

more2c responded:
Wow, I'm experiencing the thrush, dry mouth and taste problems now. I have had the horrible dry mouth for several years and have attributed it to medications I take. I treated in 2007 (Pegylated Interferon/Ribavirin -for 3 mos and was taken off due to non-responder. I don't remember having these symptoms then During tx I lost my taste for anything and sometimes the smell of certain foods made me nauseated and I lost a lot of weight. It makes me wonder now if any of what I have now is related to tx or hepc. I have dealt with sores in the corners of my mouth that start with cracks. my dermatologist told me it was yeast and gave me a cream to put on it that helps but it keeps coming back. in the last couple of weeks, rheumatologist said I needed folic acid and biotin but he also told me it is possible the hepatitis is causing it and wants me to see hepatologist. Sorry this is so lengthy. let me know what you find out

An_192632 replied to An_192631's response:
I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.