Includes Expert Content
Platelet Therapy
LeighannV posted:
Hi All,

I haven't been here in ages but my screen name used to be mydodge. I have a question about platelet therapy. Is there a website that will tell me about it in easy to understand language? Is anyone here on platelet therapy who can tell me more about it? I appreciate the help!!

Leighannv (formerly mydodge)

oldtiff47 responded:
HI OLD FRIEND HOW ARE YOU?....PLATELET THERAPY MEANS WHAT ? I HOPE OUR MD DR. PALMER SEE THIS...

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR HEP....YOU WILL NEED TO REFRESH THIS OLD BRAIN..

GREAT TO SEE YOU

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to oldtiff47's response:
off hand i can think of several methods - platelet infusion and drug therapy

billm57 responded:
heres a helpful website

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombocytopenia/DS00691/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

oldtiff47 replied to billm57's response:
YEARS AGO WHEN MY MOTHER HAD LEUKEMIA SHE NEEDED PLATELETS OFTEN AND SHE WOULD GET WHAT THEY CALLED A 6 PACK OF THEM AND IT WOULD LAST MAYBE 10 DAYS......

OFTEN THE RESCUE DRUGS IN WHAT I HAVE READ HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THEM ?

IS THIS STILL TRUE?

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Low platelets in a person with liver disease typically indicates the presence of cirrhosis. Platelet transfusions are only indicated prior to surgery or if bleeding occurs. Eltrombopag is a medication not commonly used in people with cirrhosis - but is used to increase the number of platelets in order to decrease the risk of bleeding in people who have chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP; an ongoing condition that may cause unusual bruising or bleeding due to an abnormally low number of platelets in the blood). Eltrombopag should only be used by people who have not been helped or cannot be treated with other treatments, including medications or surgery to remove the spleen. Eltrombopag is used to increase the number of platelets enough to lower the risk of bleeding, but it is not used to increase the number of platelets to a normal level. Eltrombopag is in a class of medications called thrombopoietin receptor agonists. It works by causing the cells in the bone marrow to produce more platelets.