Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Hi, I'm new to this community. My name is Charlotte.
An_192634 posted:
I contracted Hep-C from blood transfusions (that helped to save my life) back in 1987-88 during a 3 month stay in hospital fighting peritonitis caused by a ruptured diverticula in my large intestine. But we didn't know I had it until about 15 years later. I had been complaining of being unusually tired for a couple of years and finally was tested for it. I did agree to undergo the chemo treatment of the time (this was 2004) which was giving myself weekly Interferon shots and taking the accompanying (name?) pills every day. The doc told me treatment would last 11 months but I was so miserable that I begged off after 4 months. (I won't go into all the side effects now but basically I was bedridden and vomiting all the time, passing out when I stood up, and so on.) Fortunately, my viral count was down to "zero" (which of course means not really gone, but barely registering). However, I pray that they find another method of treatment so that others won't have to go through what I did. In addition, shortly after I finished treatment my gall bladder was full of stones and I let them talk me into removing it. After they removed my gall bladder I had a lot of trouble with eating lots of different kinds of foods and developed GERD I think it is called. So now I have to take 40 mg of Nexium twice a day and I can NEVER eat fatty food of any kind. I have other physical problems including diverticulitis (which started all this in 1987) and a recent CT-scan showed that I have an enlarged Adrenal gland and Fatty Liver disease. I don't drink at all so from what I have read it is all related to the Hep-C problems. My only advice to people is to: 1) Be your own best doctor by speaking up, asking questions, changing doctors if you have to and do your own research; and 2) Seek alternative treatment with/or instead of traditional medicine. I am headed off to Cleveland Clinic at the end of the month to deal with the above mentioned issues and to try and get my colostomy reversed. Wish me well. Please.

2bnlitend responded:
I have a family member who went through treatment around that time and they too reported some serious impact on his ability to enjoy each day as they came.

Thankfully they endured the treatment two times over within as many years and is free of the virus today. This is my hope as I enter into treatment in coming weeks.

Much has changed since 2004, especially in the understanding of how interferon and ribiviron impacts the system. Today, doctors are able to adjust and tweek dosage levels to aid in minimizing side effects as best as possible, while maintaining strengths sufficient to reaching the goal of effectively eliminating the virus.

I will go forth positively believing that I will get up each day and work if I have to and that in the end it will all be worth the experience ending in total eradication of the virus.

billm57 replied to 2bnlitend's response:
best wishes to the both of you - treatment can be hard to endure for some but its nothing compared to what the virus can do

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.