Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Any advice about how to make the lifestyle changes?
Daffy189 posted:
Hey I'm 22 and was diagnosed with Hep C a year ago after i gave blood for the first time. Ive had lots of piercings and was hospitalised as a baby so recon either of these could have been the cause. after discussing it with my doctor, decided to wait till after i finish uni before starting treatment, which will be next year. I haven't told anyone other than my family about it and having trouble with coming up with reasons as to why i dont want to drink,

Was wandering if there are any other young people in a similar situation of waiting for treatment and whether you had any advice on how to deal with the lifestyle changes. i exercise lots and eat healthy, so really its just about what to say at uni as to why i cant get a glass of wine when at a pub/bar. kinda tired of having to make up excuses...

2bnlitend responded:
I'm not young but I did have to make the lifestyle change long before knowing of HCV infection.

Good news; There is life after alcohol!

It is tough in today's society to go the road of not drinking. Hell, it's as if you're a leper if you are not drinking. Trust me when I say you can live without it (pardon my pun).

I simply tell people that I got really sick and when I finally went to the doctor they found I was allergic to alcohol. Not so much if I touch it or smell it, but if I put it inside me through drinking, its a death wish.

Seek out a local 12-step group for drinkers and see how young members are coping (of course they may be there for serious imbibing, but just the same, you only have to have a desire not to drink to become a member).

billm57 responded:
aa is good advice for those who are alcoholics - i havent had a drop in over 13 years which is good because my liver is well into stage 4 cirrhosis thanks to drinking drugging and hcv --- the drinking issue is all relative - some people can stop at 1 drink - God bless em - some people have little or no liver damage - im not advocating drinking to anyone even social drinking - to drink with cirrhosis is suicidal - different drs have differring opinions

nolacat responded:
Thats a hard one - 12 step groups can help. If you believe in a Higher Power pray for the obsession to be removed, pray for strength to not care what people think, pray for a snappy answer like if I drink I'll puke on your shoes (lol). IDK it's a tough one. Find a new favorite drink for when you go out. Have your bf or bff order your drink for you every time so you aren't put on the spot. This will be a life long adjustment - good luck - and keep in touch with the boards.

charlottay responded:
Don't make up an excuse, just say "I don't feel like a drink right now". If you start to watch other students carefully you will see that not everyone drinks. My mom has never drank, although she has tried to, she just doesn't like the feeling, so she doesn't do it, and she is always the life of the party, acting silly, laughing, dancing, singing....and so on. Actually, it's really no one's business what you do or what is going on in your life. Also, if you are known as a person that exercises and eats healthy, it would make sense that you wouldn't want to drink.

Smilingbookreader responded:
I didn't drink heavly at all (once every 6 years) so I know what you're going through. If it's an issue then say that you're trying to cut back on the drinking as long as you aren't depended on it and don't beinge drink.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.