Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Side effect?
autotech1700 posted:
I have to report for a nuclear thyroid scan next month. Cant do it this month because of an MRI last weekend. Hyperactive I believe. Is this a side effect of Pegasys/ribavirin ? This came from blood tests due to previous brain tumor (benign) removal. It seems there is renewed interest in the tumor again. I wonder if I will ever be free again......

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Thyroid disorders may be a complication of any type of interferon treatment.

billm57 responded:
thyroid disorders ARE known complications of the hep c virus
they MAY be due to the meds - most likely its a combination of of BOTH

autotech1700 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you--That is a load off my mind.

mby55 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
I was diagnosed with Hep C six years ago and probably had it longer. (My previous physician had not alerted me to my raised levels.) I received the treatment and did not finish the 48 wks due to no significant change in my level. Also, I have been taking Synthroid for around 20 to 25 years. My Dr. has never mentioned anything about thyroid disease and Hep C. I would like to know about this.

Also, are the newly approved drugs going to be effected by the thyroid medication? I'm ready to try the new drug Victrell
is! (My gastro Dr. had mention there was a new drug about to be released!)

Thank you very much

chrisway replied to mby55's response:
I wood like to see the new drugs???? but that's what put where i n today.

chrisway responded:
u will u will I'm going to b taking tests tomorrow I'm till hoping it negative? I'm payers r wif u

Helpful Tips

Grapefruit Juice-Simple
There has been a study at the Boston MA Hospital about pure and simple grapefruit juice. It WORKS!!!!! I have been on 3 txs including ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.