Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

medications for hepatitis c
An_192639 posted:
was wondering how the medication works and how successful it is. there is no cure for hepatitis c right?

billm57 responded:
wrong - there are meds that can rid the body of hcv - around 99% of people who are virus free 6 months after successful treatment remain that way - cured --- with the old meds only 50% achieved this - with the new meds just out last month its around 80% cure rate for first time treaters - its not 100% but no cure is

24sdmm replied to billm57's response:
thank you we got a call from my husbands doctor and they said he will probably need medication. but we were just unsure how the meds work . he still needs a liver biopsy though before he gets any medicine. the doctor mentioned side affects? do most people have to stop working with this medicine? i know it can differ a little for everyone.

OLDTIFF47 replied to billm57's response:
BILL THEY TOLD ME IN 99 I HAD A 30% CHANCE OF CLEARING AND I DID.... I NEVER EVER LIKE THE ODDS THING......

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

hawgfan replied to 24sdmm's response:
Depends on his side fx, what kind of work he does, & what kind of support he gets from you and others. I am 16 weeks into treatment and haven't missed any work. I am an electronics technician. There are a lot of days that if I had to do hard, heavy outside work I would be in trouble - but that's also not what I am used to doing. Plenty of honest communication between the two of you and plenty of prayer goes a long way. Y'all can do this.

billm57 replied to OLDTIFF47's response:
the combo therapy of peginterferon and ribavirin worked as an immune response stimulator combined with the antiviral ribavirin - the triple therapy adds a protease inhibitor which inhibits viral replication - i dont know the exact stats but i believe the majority dont experience severe side effects and are able to keep working

i know tiff - they told me 20% due to all the negative predictors i had - the doc was shocked when i cleared - sadly im one of the 1% that did not remain that way

thank you billm57 are you trying treatment again? i hope everything is going good for you.

billm57 replied to 24sdmm's response:
thanks 24 - i still get a few good days / week - im seriously considering trying the triple therapy - i went to a transplant center a few months ago - the hepatologist there said no more interferon / ribavirin due to progressing cirrhosis - saw him again earlier this month and he seemed kinda open to it - he wants me to discuss with my gastro but i cant get in before my next hepa appt - im in no hurry but i cant afford to procrastinate - did your husband make a decision about treating yet

he wants too but we are still waiting for him to go in for the liver biopsy and then see what the doctor says. we hope the medicine works for him.

billm57 replied to 24sdmm's response:
let us know how things progress - best wishes

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.