Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Hepatitis C Transmission
AllegroVivo posted:
Hi all,

I have dormant infection of Hep C and have since birth. my boyfriend considering being sexually active. I'm on birth control and aware that while it's not always 100% effective, condoms aren't necessary for sex. However this isn't the point of my question. I want to know if there are risks to my boyfriend of having sex considering the dominant Hep C element.

Thanks in advance.

24sdmm responded:
really don't know very much about hep c , my husband just found out not very long ago that he is positive for hep c. we have been married for 7 years and have 2 children together and i just got tested a few weeks ago and i'm negative. i think the risk is low.

hawgfan responded:
First of all, there is no such thing as 'dormant' hep c. I would highly recommend seeing a good gastro doc or hepatologist.

Secondly, hep c is only transmitted by blood to blood contact so with most sexual contact, this is not a problem, however, you bring up a third issue - unprotected sex with your boyfriend - you do the research.

billm57 responded:
dormant is not the right term - asymptomatic is more correct - hep c is usually a slow progressing disease - but it is progressing - it can take decades for the symptoms to become readily apparent - the risks to your boyfriend are minimal - only a few percent transmit the virus sexually and there has to be blood to blood contact

oldtiff47 replied to billm57's response:
PERHAPS THEY CLEARED ON OWN....HAVE NO V/L....JUST A THOUGHT???

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to oldtiff47's response:
possible tiff - hard to tell from post tho

nolacat responded:
My experience is I have been in two monogamous relationships and never transmitted to partner and did not use condoms. I have given birth with HepC and did not transmit to baby. While I would not discourage practicing safe sex- transmission is only through blood to blood contact. I personally am more concerned about tooth brushes, going to the dentist, and shaving razors than sex.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.