Hepatitis C Transmission
AllegroVivo posted:
Hi all,

I have dormant infection of Hep C and have since birth. my boyfriend considering being sexually active. I'm on birth control and aware that while it's not always 100% effective, condoms aren't necessary for sex. However this isn't the point of my question. I want to know if there are risks to my boyfriend of having sex considering the dominant Hep C element.

Thanks in advance.

24sdmm responded:
really don't know very much about hep c , my husband just found out not very long ago that he is positive for hep c. we have been married for 7 years and have 2 children together and i just got tested a few weeks ago and i'm negative. i think the risk is low.

hawgfan responded:
First of all, there is no such thing as 'dormant' hep c. I would highly recommend seeing a good gastro doc or hepatologist.

Secondly, hep c is only transmitted by blood to blood contact so with most sexual contact, this is not a problem, however, you bring up a third issue - unprotected sex with your boyfriend - you do the research.

billm57 responded:
dormant is not the right term - asymptomatic is more correct - hep c is usually a slow progressing disease - but it is progressing - it can take decades for the symptoms to become readily apparent - the risks to your boyfriend are minimal - only a few percent transmit the virus sexually and there has to be blood to blood contact

oldtiff47 replied to billm57's response:
PERHAPS THEY CLEARED ON OWN....HAVE NO V/L....JUST A THOUGHT???

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to oldtiff47's response:
possible tiff - hard to tell from post tho

nolacat responded:
My experience is I have been in two monogamous relationships and never transmitted to partner and did not use condoms. I have given birth with HepC and did not transmit to baby. While I would not discourage practicing safe sex- transmission is only through blood to blood contact. I personally am more concerned about tooth brushes, going to the dentist, and shaving razors than sex.