Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

right side pain
more2c posted:
Does anyone have right side pain? I know they say there are no pain receptors (?) in the liver but recently have had a few severe, stabbing like pains in the liver area. Does anyone else experience this?

hawgfan responded:
Is it underneath your ribs or maybe in your ribs? I get an occasional pain in my lower right ribs and my doc said it is probably due to having 4 liver biopsies over the years.

billm57 replied to hawgfan's response:
if the liver is swollen it can be pushing on pain receptors around it

oldtiff47 replied to billm57's response:
I GET IT OFTEN AND HAVE BEEN CLEAR OVER A DECADE....IT IS JUST WHAT IS FOR ME...AND OH MY CAN IT HURT....BUT IT DOES STOP.....IT IS CALLED URQ PAIN...UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT PAIN...

I HAVE HAD IT FOR LIKE 20 YRS....MY NORM I GUESS AND NO BIGGY MOST OF THE TIME

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to billm57's response:
also gallbladder ( located on the liver ) disorders and pancreatic disorders can be painful even very very painful - ascites tumors and hcc can cause pain - stomach problems like gastritis gastroenteritis irritable bowel ulcers etc cant be overlooked

http://liverdisease.com/abdominalpain_hepatitis.html

oldtiff47 replied to billm57's response:
YES ALL OF THOSE...MY YEARLY URQ ULTRA SOUND NEVER SHOWS ANY OF THAT...I WILL HAVE ONE YEARLY THE REST OF MY LIFE AND THAT IS FINE..

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

more2c replied to hawgfan's response:
Yes it is. Ihave only had 2 going on 3. Thanks for the response.

TriPacerGran responded:
I was diagnosed with Auto-Immune Hepatitis early in 2011 and have had only one biopsy and that was this year. For about 5 years now I have had a pain that starts on the right side of my chest. It is mostly under my right breast but it spreads to my back before stopping. The worst of it is right at the site where my liver biopsy was done. It starts slowly and builds. It gets to the point where my Vaso Vagal Syncope kicks in -- meaning that all the blood rushes to the middle of my body to help the pain leaving my fingers tingling, low blood pressure, and sometimes I faint. It goes away in half hour or hour. I have to lay down; can't walk or sit. When I first told my Internal Medicine Doctor about this several years ago, they thought it was gall bladder but tests & ultrasound were negative. I then had heart stress test and that's when they said the result of the pain was Vaso Vagal that could be caused by any number of things. In fact, I had a neclear heart stress test a few months ago and that proved OK too but the test itself induced the Vaso Vagal. The Doctor treating my autoimmune hepatitis said it was indigestion so I tried taking Maalox tablets when it happened. The Maalox does seem to help and after chewing up 3 or 4 tablets (one at a time), the pain goes away so it is only lasting 15 to 20 minutes. However, it may be my mind hoping that is the problem and concentrating on chewing the Maalox makes it go away. The first time it happened I felt severe pain and was rushed to the emergency room. Since everything has been ruled out, I try to breathe deep, relax and it does go away even without the Maalox. I don't think it is indigestion. I do have GERD and take Nexium for that every day.

I saw Tiff's reply that it is URQ pain. I'll mention this to my Duke Doctor when I see him for the first time on August 5. I'll let you know what he says. Tiff, if you see this, take some Maalox or Tums the next time you have it and let me know if it eases the pain. If it doesn't, then I know the Maalox helping is just in my mind.

Later, Ann

TriPacerGran replied to billm57's response:
The article at this link is very good. Thanks a bunch for posting it. Ann

billm57 replied to TriPacerGran's response:
youre welcome - its from dr palmers book

LornaHamel responded:
Yes I have pain where the liver is also and have finally determined that it's scar tissue from my gallbladder removal years ago.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.