Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Starting triple treatment
sharinghope posted:
I received a blood transfusion in 1978 when I had my first child. I was diagnosed with Hep C in 2009. I was on the Interferon for 11 months but it was not successful. I am back on the Interferon now and will be starting on Victrellis in 3 weeks. I have had an easier time so far with this go round of Interferon. Hope it continues. God Bless anyone who is taking this treatment. I'm really glad that I found a forum to discuss how I'm doing and to hear about other peoples experiences.I would love to hear from anyone who is already on all 3 treatments. Thanks
FirstPrevious12NextLast

goodlittlegirl responded:
I am on all three drugs: Interferon, Ribavirin and Incivek. The first month seemed like a piece of cake. Weeks five and six were a little more tired, but still doable....as time goes on (week it gets a little harder. But now that I am on week eight and will have my 8-week blood draw on Thursday, I can't wait to see how it looks. My 4-week blood draw showed the virus undetectable! So far, so good. The tricky part will be keeping it undetectable for the entire 11 months. I AM looking forward to getting off of the Incivek in about six weeks. Should feel more normal by then. Good luck with your treatment, Dear.

Nance

billm57 replied to goodlittlegirl's response:
best wishes to you both

nance - is this your first time treating - if so and youre still undetectable at week 12 - your chance of svr is like 90%

billm57 replied to billm57's response:
and only 24 week treatment duration

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
sharinghope, I echo Bill's good wishes for you (and nance). Please keep checking in here to give us updates, to get support and to ask questions.

nance, I hope the next 6 weeks go well for you! Almost Thanksgiving time then...

Haylen

sharinghope replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I will be starting Bocepravir in 3 weeks and am nervous about it. I became very anemic when i was on just the Interferon and ribavirin. I know anemia is a main concern with the Bocepravir so keep me in your thoughts. Nance I hope your blood work comes back good. Thanks for the words of encouragement

Tracie

billm57 replied to sharinghope's response:
they are able to adjust the ribavirin or add epogen or use both methods to control anemia - adjusting the riba seems to be the best method - best wishes

bb2323 replied to sharinghope's response:
If you get too anemic, ask them for a few weekly Procrit shots. If your iron levels are normal, this will boost your Hgb significantly. I do not know why Procrit is not used more readily for fighting anemia - and sooner. My Hgb had to drop below 8.5 before I got Procrit, and only after getting dose-reduced from Ribavirin.

It takes a few weeks for Procrit to kick in, and by the time it did, I was below 8, and being spoken to about a blood transfusion. Fortunately, the Procrit started doing its thing and within a few weeks I went from 7.8 Hgb to 11.9 - with just two injections. I had also ended Telaprevir by then (12th week), so that probably helped too.

bb2323 replied to goodlittlegirl's response:
As Bill also said, if you are deemed "virus undetectable" at week 12, you should only have to go 24 weeks. This is what I did, and just got my results for Week 24 - still undetectable.

Telaprevir is very effective with Interferon and Ribavirin for most people.

But make sure you are eating enough fatty foods with each Telaprevir dosing. Here are the 20 gram foods I ate (all healthy ones):

8 raw Brazil nuts = 20 gms

or about 24 raw almonds

or about 20 raw pecans

or a California avocado

or about 24 raw cashews..

The best to you once again!

goodlittlegirl replied to billm57's response:
No, this is not my first time. I have undergone treatment two other times with no response. My chance is around 40%, but so far it is looking pretty good. I had my 8-week draw today for HCV/RNA, and I am hoping to see "undetectable" in the response!! Because I was a nonresponder in the past, I will have to go the entire 11 months instead of 5 or 6, or there is a greater chance of relapse.

goodlittlegirl replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, Haylen, so much for your good wishes and support. Things are really going well right now. Life is good!

goodlittlegirl replied to sharinghope's response:
Tracie, my hemoglobin (anemia) went quite low, so i was told to lessen the Ribavirin twice. That should not affect the treatment, and once my levels went up some, I went back a little at a time on the Ribavirin. They cannot lower the dose of the Bocepravir. There is also a drug they can give you to help with the anemia, if necessary, so you are worrying unnecessarily. Trust your medical staff to do the right thing. Good luck!!

goodlittlegirl replied to bb2323's response:
Hey, my fat of choice is 1/2 cup (hah! make that a cup and a half!) of Hagen Das Pistachio ice cream at night!! 1/2 equals 20 grams of fat, but gee, 1/2 cup is nothing to an ice cream lover! So, obviously I get much more than 20 grams.

In the AM I loooooooove, love, love Jimmy Dean's snack-size sausage biscuits with a bit of mustard; a large bagel with about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese; toast with about 3 tablespoons of peanut butter (or two tablespoons of real butter); stuff that I would never eat otherwise. Cholesterol and triglycerides are up, but no one seems concerned, because after 12 weeks when I am off the fatty meal, it should go back to normal. Of course, I will have to break my ice cream fix!!!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to goodlittlegirl's response:
goodlittlegirl -

8 am here and my mouth is watering reading about a sausage biscuit....as I eat my oatmeal, blah!!!!

Haylen

goodlittlegirl replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey, those sausage biscuits are 26 grams of fat. They are very yummy. When I am off Incivek, I will not be eating them! I freeze them, take out the package of two and microwave for 55 seconds (wrapped in a paper towel). MMMMMMMMMM.

I love oatmeal, too, but there is not enough fat in it, even with dried cranberries in it, or chunky applesauce, cut up peaches, strawberries....but oatmeal and a piece of toast with peanut butter....there ya go!

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.