Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

So new at this and scared
An_240995 posted:
My new husband was just diagnosed with Hep C. He sees a gastroenterologist (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) on Halloween. I was just tested today and we still need to get our 4 year old tested.

I am scared to death. He feels like he has ruined our lives and so I haven't really shared all of my worries with him about it. I have been online and seen that there is just a slight risk of being infected through sex but am wondering what others have done about this situation. Please share.

Thank you.

hawgfan responded:
It can be a scary time. Keep in mind that hep c is only transmitted by blood contact so the risk of sexual transmission is very low. Here is Dr Palmer's article on that. http://forums.webmd.com/3/hepatitis-exchange/tip/9

Also, more people die with hepc than from hep c. Please read all you(both) can on this site and ask, ask, ask the doc when you see him.

Please keep us posted.

sweetmiracle1 replied to hawgfan's response:
Thank you so much for responding. I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to check back.

I do not have Hep C, Thanks be to God. We still have to get our son checked.

hawgfan replied to sweetmiracle1's response:
Will keep y'all in my prayers. If doc prescribes treatment, it isn't fun but it's dooable. I am down to having only 16 weeks left on my treatment. Virus is not-detected so I can live with the side fx with help from God, wife, and doc who will help with whatever meds to help.

Thank you again. We had our son tested yesterday and are waiting for the results. We also saw the gastro for the first time yesterday. He sounded very positive. He is going to test for the genotype and get an ultrasound and then we will discuss the treatment in a few weeks.

I was very surprised at how he explained the way it transmits though. He said that it runs vertically and not horizontally. When we asked if my husband had an open wound and was cleaning up an open wound on my son, if it could transfer and he said that it was not likely. That made us feel really good.

Also, I had been told my a nurse at our pediatrician that we shouldn't even have our toothbrushes in the same holder. So we tossed out every toothbrush we owned. And the gastro said that is for Hep B not C. That C doesn't survive long at all and that it doesn't spread horizontally.

Does any of that make sense?

Again, thank you so much for writing back. It means a lot to talk with someone who has already been dealing with this on a personal basis. Good luck with the treatment. Prayers coming your way too.

There are people more knowledgeable than me about the toothbrush holder. My doc hasn't said anything. She did say no sharing toothbrushes or razors. We were recently on a trip and my wife wanted to shave her legs but forgot her razor. I changed to a new blade on mine and let her use it first. Just a little precaution. Also was advised when I remove a bandaid, flush it down the toilet. What kind of work does your hubby do? How old?

OLDTIFF47 replied to sweetmiracle1's response:
DANG OUR MD NEEDS TO SEE THIS I THINK.....TOOTH BRUSHES ARE A WAY TO PASS HEP C AS FAR AS I KNOW...BLOOD TO BLOOD....IF BLOOD ON YOUR HIS BRUSH AND YOU HAVE SORE IN YOUR MOUTH???

NEVER SHARE RAZORS FOR SURE....AS OUR FRIEND TOLD YOU...

CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htmhttp://

STUDY THIS PLEASE...
USE TO BE SAID LIVES OUTSIDE BODY 7 DAYS NOW I SEE 4 DAYS....LONGER THAN OTHER BLOOD BORN..

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Yes, I was aware that we aren't supposed to use each others razors and toothbrushes but now I've had various comments about whether they can be in the same place. Now I'm confused.

My husband just turned 52. We got married in August after a pretty long engagement and he had a heart attack the week of our wedding. His cardiologist was very surprised that he had a heart attack at all because he is generally a very healthy person. But It has been crazy since then. He finally opted to find a new doctor and she is the one that asked about Hep C cause his liver function was a little overactive. He works in a type of warehouse. And is so scared that he will have to miss a lot of work with the treatment. I am a stay at home mom but really feel like I should find something part time so that he's not worried about it. But he's not liking that idea. Why do you ask?

sweetmiracle1 replied to OLDTIFF47's response:
I am so completely confused now! I know we aren't supposed to share toothbrushes or razors but I've heard so many different things about them being in the same holder. What am I supposed to do? Thanks for the link. I'm going to go check it out now.

So far, I have not had to miss work due to treatment (tx), however, I have slowed down a bit and have to pace myself. I have a great boss, who I have been honest with, and had to turn down a major project recently but only because I already have a major project due right before the new one, so it would be too much overload. If he has a good doc who will help manage side fx and he will follow the 'rules', and y'all can work through it together, he will make it.

I am very blessed that my wife is my best friend and we came to an agreement early on that I agreed to be honest with her about how I am feeling and if I need to stop or rest I do so. On her part, if I do my part, she agreed to not worry about me because she knows I am being open with her.

OLDTIFF47 replied to sweetmiracle1's response:
I ALWAYS GO TO THE EXTREME TO BE CAREFUL AND I HAVE BEEN CLEAR 10 YEARS NOW....STILL DO AND ALWAYS WILL TREAT MY BLOOD AS NOT GOOD..

AND AS FAR AS THAT GOES WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES WE KNOW TO BE CAREFUL...WE KNOW WHAT TO DO...THAT PUTS US ABOVE MOST OTHERS...

I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO TELL LABS TECH....OH NO DO NOT DO IT THAT WAY.....AND PULLED MY ARM AWAY TILL SHE DID IT RIGHT.....AND EVEN ONE MD I WENT TO FOR A VERY SHORT TIME..LOL...ANOTHER STORY FOR SURE..

"" KNOWLEDGE IS POWER ""

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.