Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Rising ALTS
LeighannV posted:
Hi everyone! I have a question. I thought after 13 yrs of researching I'd know just about everything I needed to know about HepC and my liver. Well, now I'm in cirrhosis and I find I don't know diddly.

Can anyone tell me WHY my LFT's are elevating like crazy? (ALT is over 260 now, Was 200 in July) So is my AFP. (AFP is 36 - double what it was in July of this yr). I've had a CT scan - shows nothing. I've had an Endoscopy - clear. I've had my 5th liver biopsy and it shows cirrhosis. My MELD score is only 8.

WHAT could be making my LFT's and my AFP go up? No, I'm not drinking and haven't for 14 yrs.

Any help on this??

Thanks,
LeighAnn
(previously known as: MYDODGE)

oldtiff47 responded:
HI DODGE....I THINK I REMEMBER YOU..SURE I DO...BUT NOT YOUR HISTORY......WHAT DO THE MD'S SAY? HOUR HEP AT WORK?

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

LeighannV replied to oldtiff47's response:
So far I just talked to my GP. I wish I knew what the reason for the elevation is. My platelets are dropping like a stone too (117) and my Alk Phos is elevated to 236. I'm not eating any differently either. I don't know if this is what cirrhosis does or not.

I'm sooooo confused!

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Elevated AFP occurs in patients with cirrhosis, inflammation of the liver due to a variety of causes, liver cancer and many other causes. ALT is best evaluated in connection with AST level.

LeighannV replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Dr Palmer,

Thanks for the help.

My ALT is now 267 and my AST is 313. My A/G Ratio has dropped to 1.0 Is this normal for cirrhosis?

LeighAnn

oldtiff47 replied to LeighannV's response:
LEIGH......BX IS THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW.....MY NUMBERS WERE HIGH NORM WHEN I WENT TO SEE GASTRO....TO ALL SHOCK I WAS AND AM A STAGE 4......

YOUR OLD FRIEND,
TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.