Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

I just was tested Positive for Hep C, and also RA
Bonnysue posted:
So, I found this out because I had blood work done,when I tested Positve for RA. (Rhuematoid Arthritis). The RA Dr. said I need my Hep C addressed first. He said my RA may be a consequence of the Hep C. Just when I was getting ready to start meds for RA, now I have to wait. (Meds won't be very good for my liver). I have an ultra sound next week, and a biopsy in Jan. What a mess I'm in.Anyone have RA and Hep C out there?
Any suggestions from any Dr.S out there?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

oldtiff47 responded:
I DO NOT HAVE RA....BUT DO FIND AN MD YOU LIKE AND TRUST....SOUNDS AS THOUGH YOU GOING ALONG THE RIGHT WAY FOR YOUR HCV.....KEEP US POSTED AND DO READ AND LEARN ALL YOU CAN ABOUT HCV.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Bonnysue replied to oldtiff47's response:
I'm getting the results from my ultra sound today, to see what stage I'm at with Hep. Hopefully the Dr. can give me some idea, before the biopsy. Oye!

oldtiff47 replied to Bonnysue's response:
YOU WILL FIND OUT THE STAGE WITH THE BX(BIOPSY) NOT ULTRA SOUND. BUT ALL THIS IS PART OF THE HCV PATH. KEEP US POSTED.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Bonnysue replied to oldtiff47's response:
Ultra sound looked good, but type came out 1b. Biopsy on the 10th of Jan. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

billm57 replied to Bonnysue's response:
many people suffer rheumatoid and other autoimmune conditions as a result of hep c infection - unfortunately the interferon / ribavirin usually exaggerates these conditions and usually subside somewhat but may persist over time

Bonnysue replied to billm57's response:
I'm going to see my RA Dr. today, for a follow up. I'm thinking this will probably be the last visit for a while , cause I now have a Hep Dr.! The ultra sound looked good, but I'm getting a biopsy of my liver Jan. 10 and then I'll know what stage I'm at with that.I'll be back!

Bonnysue replied to Bonnysue's response:
Well,results of biopsy are back. Stage 2,grade 2, and my Dr highly suggests I do the 3 drugs. Pegasus,Ribaviron and Telaprevir. I have decided to go ahead with the treatment along with changing to super healthy diet and Tai Chi. ( helps with the RA) I figure I may as well give it a shot , one year of my life is worth the "chance" I may stop the progression of these evil diseases in side my body.Being that I have 1 b, (and my VL is only 265,000 )is also not working in my favor, but I have no cirrhosis yet, so this is good. I'm gonna see if I may try to get the Manufacturers to help pay for these horrendously expensive drugs, along with my med ins. What a mess. I don't want to get to stage 3 and I don't want my RA to get any worse, what have I got to loose?

billm57 replied to Bonnysue's response:
if you are a first time treater you will most likely not have to do a whole year - if you respond well it may be only 6 months

billm57 replied to billm57's response:
or a relapser to previous treatment

Bonnysue replied to billm57's response:
I'm a first timer!Dr's ordered the meds, now I have to wait for all the authorizations,etc. is it always such a hassle to get these meds? 6 months sounds good. I guess now I'm just feeling like I wan to get this done and get it over with so I can move on with my life.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Bonnysue's response:
Hi Bonnysue,

Just wanted to tell you to hang in there- going through a jungle of paperwork is enough to drive anyone nuts! Try to keep your stress level in check and please keep coming here with questions or for support -

Haylen

Bonnysue replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks, Haylen. I'm trying to keep my patience level in check with the beaurocratic b--, that one has to go thru for financial help. I 'm not feeling to encouraged because I'm not poor, just in the "middle " class. Anyway the Dr has started the process of getting the meds ordered and authorized by my ins. What's really been bothering me lately in my RA. From what I've been researching lately is the meds for my Hep will probably make my RA get worse. I try to keep a stiff upper lip on everything that's been going on with me but my nemesis is my cigarette smoking and I really need help on that one. I think I'm gonna ask one of my Dr. s for that rx they make to help me with that. I do not need for anyone to tell me how bad it is for me. I 'm a "work in progress!"

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Bonnysue's response:
I always think of the help that people don't get because of that _______. Especially if you're not feeling 100%!You can find support for your stop smoking quest here:

Smoking Cessation Community

And we have a great RA community with an expert here:

WebMD Rheumatoid Arthritis Community

I wish I could do more so I'll just send you some positive non-smoking thoughts from California!

Haylen

Bonnysue replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
already at the RA site. Thanks. I'll check out the smokin one.
I'm also in Ca.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.