Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Don
chestn posted:
Hi Tiff and Dr.,

I hope I'm at the right place now to post, if I'm not please let me know Well, here I go again. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and will have a good start at the New Year of 2012. Whew, what a year or two. Tiff, you were talking about odds, my doctor said I had about a 30 percent chance of beating Hep C with the new treatment and I've gone ahead like I said on the last post, I went ahead and let them take a whole lot of blood last week. Just to give y'all a little on my background, I've had Hepatitis C around 40 years from prior drug use. I been cleaned for years ...don't smoke, drink, do drugs and am a vegetarian. I just got over going through breast cancer 2 years ago September 29th of 2009 and went through rounds of chemo and then weeks of radiation. One of the chemo chemicals were taxotere which was very hard on me. My white cells fell well below the acceptable line and I landed in the intensive care for a week. Now I thought I was really doing OK until I saw two liver doctors. One did a biopsy and told me I had Stage 3 inflammation and Stage 4 cirrhosis and I needed treatment. He had done a cat scan of the liver also and I wanted to see it and he told me I would never see that so I went to get a 2nd opinion and this doctor did an endoscopy and blood work and said my throat & all was fine but I needed to start treatment right away. He asked me why hadn't any doctor before now treated me. I thought I was doing fine because it had been years since my first liver biopsy. My numbers have been fine all these years until I had the chemo. I feel the chemo is the thing that affected the liver......I'm so confused. Both doctors say if I don't get treatment I'll get liver cancer or possibly die How could I be fine one minute and the next have these numbers so out of whack? I'm scared to death to take these new treatments because of all the horrible stories I read about. My doctors say I have a 30 percent chance of being cured. I'm not a big person (about 107 lbs). I'm already really depressed and don't know if my body can take this medicine. I really scared to death and just wonder is this just another way for some doctor to line their pockets with just about all I have left to my name? Please pray for me and I'll also keep you, Tiff and everyone else I've read about in my prayers. Waiting for a miracle! Love you all. Chestnut

oldtiff47 responded:
SO GLAD YOU GOT HERE...LETS HOPE OTHERS READ THIS AND HELP OUT...IT MAY TAKE A WHILE....I WOULD THINK YOUR ODDS WOULD BE MORE THAN 30% MUCH MORE BUT MAYBE I AM WRONG..

SO GLAD YOU GOT HERE KIDDO...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

oldtiff47 replied to oldtiff47's response:
DR. P. I DO HOPE YOU SEE THIS AND REPLY TO THIS NEW HEPPER

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 responded:
if you havent treated before no doctor can accurately tell you your odds are only 30% - first time treaters with the new drug and relapsers to the previous combo therapy ( peg inf ribavirin ) have anywhere from 75 - 95% chance of clearing the virus --- even those with compensated cirrhosis have a 55 - 75% chance --- the only group with less than 35% chance are partial and null responders to previous combo therapy --- also no dr can predict you will get liver cancer but cirrhosis is a leading cause --- you should have been offered treatment when you were first diagnosed with the virus - also waiting more than 3-5 years for another biopsy or other diagnostic tests can be dangerous even though hep c is a slow progressing disease for the majority - as we all dont fit that category - chemo did not cause your cirrhosis and we hardly ever hear the non horror stories - if you tolerated that hep c treatment should be no problem --- if you are clinically depressed you should start an antidepressant before treating

jamesraymond responded:
first of all i would find a new doctor. the last thing you need right now is negativity. and not only that it sounds like your doctors do not know what they are talking about. i have met with hepatologist and pharmacologists who were straight up with me but also very positive. i am on triple therapy and have no side affects other then irritablity and muscle pain. if you have gone through chemo this should be a walk in the park for you. do not read the other blogs until you have spoken to a competent pharmacologist so they can tell you the real facts. i have beaten my hep c in less than 5 weeks and you can too. good luck.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
I do not have all of your details but if you have never been treated before and have genotype 1 with cirrhosis your chance of cure is around 61%. I am unclear why 2 doctors stated that you have only a 30 % chance of cure, but I may not have all of the facts like they do. In any case, treatment should be highly considered, unless there are contraindications.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.