Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
during treatment is sex ok?
loriloriv posted:
my husband has been doing his treatment for hep c for about 6 months now. we have been laying low on having sex since the hep c and treatment is affecting that part. anyway, he is getting a rash between his legs and i'm thinking that the medication is coming out in his urine?? should we be using condoms if we are having sex?? we hadn't been even when he was diagnosed, but now that he is taking the shots/pills...i would assume that the meds have to come out somewhere. any suggestions? ideas? i know you can't get hep c just from sex oral or otherwise unless there is a cut or something. but w/this med thing it's got ME freaked out. please help!

oldtiff47 responded:
YOU SEEM SO VERY WISE ABOUT ALL.....ALWAYS BEST TO ASK HIS MD. I ADMIRE SO HOW YOU ARE SUPPORTING YOUR HUSBAND...

HATS OFF TO YOU.....MY HUSBAND OF 45 YEARS(THIS YEAR) HELPED ME SO VERY MUCH ON TX.....AND YES WE DID......

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Sex is fine while your husband is on treatment, however, if you are of childbearing age you must use 2 forms of birth control, as pregnancy is contraindicated while your husband is on treatment, as ribavirin may cause birth defects.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.