Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Conceiving with a husband who has Autoimmune Hepatitis
tmw614 posted:
Hi. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive our second child, but my husband has autoimmune hepatitis and needs to start treatment to get it under control.

He is going to need to be put on prednisone as well as imuran. I understand that conceiving while taking imuran can lead to genetic abnormalities. We would love to conceive our second child and then have my husband start the treatment but I am getting so worried as my husband has developed yellowing of his eyes as well as a bit of stomach distention. So, needless to say, I think he needs to start treatment immediately.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice for us in this arena. Is it possible that we could safely conceive if he started treatment with taking prednisone only and holding off on the imuran until we conceived? Or could the prednisone also cause genetic problems with a developing fetus?

Of course my husband's health comes first and foremost here, but we were really hoping that there is something that he could take which would put him back on the road to health but could allow us to safely keep trying to conceive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Yes, you should be able to safely conceive while your husband is on therapy with prednisone and imuran.

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.