Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Skiing with Distended Stomach
tmw614 posted:
My husband is 28 years old and has Autoimmune Hepatitis. He is extremely active and is going to be going to Park City, Utah later this week to ski. He is not currently on treatment for his Autoimmune Hepatitis and has recently been developing symptoms that are very concerning to me (i.e. yellowing of the eyes, extreme fatigue, distended stomach--not too bad but it's definitely not normal).

He has been giving me such push back on starting treatment as he wants us to conceive our second child before he goes on treatment...but I feel as though time is not in our favor.

I am deathly afraid that something terrible is going to happen while he is skiing because it is such an extreme sport and causes his to exert himself so much. Is this is valid concern? Skiing is his passion and he is giving me a hard time about this--saying that I am being overly worried.

I need someone to give me some advice. I desperately want my husband to realize the severity of this disorder. I think he is in denial about it and I can't seem to get through to him.

So my questions are 1:) Does anyone have information about skiing while having the symptoms I listed above? (I just imagine something terrible happening--a rupture possibly--is this valid or am I being overly worried about something that is perfectly safe to do with this condition? and #2.) Does anyone have any insight on a treatment that would be safe for him to start while we can still try to conceive?

Thank you for your advice and support. It is so much appreciated.

oldtiff47 responded:
I DON'T KNOW MUCH IF ANYTHING ABOUT AUTO HEP BUT IF HE IS TURNING YELLOW HE NEEDS TO SEE HIS MD SOON FOR SURE....PLEASE GET HIM TO HIS DR.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

oldtiff47 responded:
SO WORRIED ABOUT YOUR HUSBAND AND YOU DEAR GIRL....LET US KNOW HOW HE IS DOING PLEASE...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.