Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

ALT193 AST 82
DD8209 posted:
Recent LFT came back with my elevated levels. First test to check for hepatitis came back abnormal for hep c. My question is how? No drug use by neither myself or wife of 22 years, no suspect needle sticks, no transfusions, very healthy or so i thought and retired military of 27 years. Can't think of any exposure to blood ever do how HCV abnormal?

jamesraymond responded:
you can get this from sharing razors, toothbrushes, all types of personal hygiene items, form surgery prior to the 90's. Your liver enzyme levels are very low and only show a small amount of inflammation. chances are you have had this for a while with no problem so i would not worry yourself. You probably don't even need treatment since i am guessing you are in your late 50's or 60's. Just limit your alcohol use and you should be able to live a normal healthy life

oldtiff47 responded:
MANY VETS HAVE HCV...IF YOU DO HAVE HCV I WOULD ASSUME(HATE TO EVER ASSUME)....MILITARY INFECTION...IMMUNIZATIONS....

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

oldtiff47 replied to jamesraymond's response:
I TREATED IN MY 50'S AND MY STAGE 4 LIVER IS HAPPY I DID AND CLEARED...TO TREAT OR NOT TO TREAT IS FOR THE PATIENT AND MD TO FIND OUT..

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 responded:
find out if you are actively infected with hcv - abnormal is not a normal answer - lol - the test for active infection is called a pcr viral load test - also a biopsy or ultrasound of the liver to determine damage

DD8209 replied to billm57's response:
Waiting on those results now- thanks for reply. Once i know more I'll post again. Waiting isn't my strong point

DD8209 replied to billm57's response:
My quant hep c test was read as none detected- what does that mean in laymans terms?? Thanks

billm57 replied to DD8209's response:
for all intents and purposes you are below the limit of detection and i would think classified as not infected with hep c - you can always test again in 6 months or so - are they looking into the cause of your enzyme elevation - which could be quite a few conditions - best wishes

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.