Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

HCV sexually transmitted?
An_243633 posted:
Hi, I was wondering about having unprotected sex with someone with HCV. I recently had unprotected sex (once) with someone who had been diagnosed with HCV and did not tell me until after I already slept with him. He received a blood transfussion back in 1989 and was diagnosed 14 yrs later with Hep C. What are the chances that I will get Hep C? There is soooo much controversy on the internet about transmission of HCV sexually and I'm so confused on what I should do if anything. Also, does condom use reduce the effects of contracting HCV sexually?

Thanks!

billm57 responded:
the ONLY way to transmit hcv is through blood to blood contact - if this is a normal occurrance during intercourse for you AND him - well its possible - bleeding is not the norm during sex - so hcv should not be considered a std - also the flu can be transmitted during sex - is it considered a std - nooo

Helpful Tips

Purisis, MILD Rash with severe itching TIPS
I am a Pegasys/Teleprivir patient. End of week one. I went to the hospital because I just could not take it anymore! The itching was out ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful