Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

I was right, denial sucks
Hepwolf2012 posted:
Hi all. Posted recently on denial not the best option. Here's the update. I saw my new doc yesterday and the news is discouraging. I was so hopeful about the triple therapy but I am told my 2B genotype excludes me from this option. Since i was grade 3, stage 2 in 1998, and my AST is now higher than ALT, plus have mixed croglobulinemia, she suspects I have cirrhosis. Will be doing biopsy and ultrasound, labs to be done 5 days prior to biopsy. She says if cirrhosis is not too advanced, I can retreat with combo. First treatment 1999 with non-peg interferon & riba. Cleared after 6 months, relapsed 6 months later. She also said if cirrhosis advanced, I will be referred for transplant. She mentioned clinical trials as another option.

I had been so hopeful. Now I am in a state of mind I can't describe.

Anyone have any other ideas or know of trials for 2B? I am in Sacramento/SF area.

Reaching for my bootstraps....again! I must beat this. I just became a great great Aunt and I am only 58 yrs old. Still working and love life! God, please hear my prayers.

hawgfan responded:
Will keep you in my prayers. I know that doctors sometimes talk about statistics and percentages but keep in mind that you only need 1 person cured - you.

Anon_130687 responded:
hepwolf, I'm sorry to hear this news

When my mom had a stroke, her doctor said to search for clinical trials here: http://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/

The Hepatitis Association might be able to steer you towards trials as well: http://www.hepcassoc.org/

Best of luck to you...

Hepwolf2012 replied to hawgfan's response:
I do appreciate your encouragement. A different perspective does help see the hope. Thank you hawgfan.

Hepwolf2012 replied to Anon_130687's response:
So much appreciated. I don't know what I would do without the support of this community. Complete strangers who care....awesome. Thanks for the resources. I will check it out. Thanks soooo much.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Hepwolf2012's response:
TGIF Hepwolf - I'm glad you're here!

Please keep us updated about your search for further treatment!

Haylen

timbanksgen2 responded:
I'm really sorry to hear this HepWolf.

My dad was diagnosed with Hep C genotype 2 many years ago and has just started treatment. We're hoping it all works out.

Have you tried any new treatments? Simeprevir looks like it has very promising results but it is pricey.

There's a good support community at hepatitis central that he really interacted with (www.hepatitiscentral.com ). Try the forums there, too. Nice group.

Hope this helps.

oldtiff47 replied to timbanksgen2's response:
PLEASE NOTE YOUR REPLY IS FROM A POST 2 YEARS AGO.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.