Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
HIV concern,please help!
jony54 posted:
7 weeks ago i had sex with a young lady, she gave me a scratch in my penis(very light scratch while having oral sex) than we had sex, 5 weeks after the incident i got tested for HIV and was negative! With the same girl the condom broke, I still had the scratch, and intercourse with broken condom lasted less than a minute maybe 20 sec, but she had a little menstrual blood, I washed my self really quick if that helps!
I am now on the forth week after the incident, will wait one more week and go get tested, mainly because my anxiety has risen so high, It's August and I started checking my lymph nodes under my jaw/neck area. I started poking my nodes and can feel them especially the left side of the neck, they're hard but if i push them I would feel a little pain but they don't resemble the pain I used to get when i had a cold, just wandering if it is my anxiety or signs of infection, I had enlarged lymph nodes in the winter and I know how painful they could get, right now if I don't look for them with my finger I wouldn't feel them,I have been like this for the last three day have no fever or anything else. Thank you.

Take the Poll

HIV concern!
  • HIV
  • Anxiety
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

elle0317 responded:
Does this young lady have HIV?

Being tested at 5 weeks is not enough time, you should wait at least 3 months, in order for the antibodies to be at the detectable level.

jony54 replied to elle0317's response:
She said the she is clean, but how can i know if that's true!?

georgiagail replied to jony54's response:
Suggest testing before you engage in sexual contact.

Unfortunately, the horse is out of the barn (so to speak) on this one and unless you're a mind reader (or she can produce test results) neither you (nor us) can tell if she is telling the truth.

Gail

elle0317 replied to jony54's response:
you may never know unless she shows you her results report. And even then how do you know she didn't sleep with someone after her test and before she slept with you. Looks like you will have to wait until the appropriate time has passed and get tested again.

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to elle0317's response:
I agree with all this sir... get tested at 2-3 months and that should be enough time to make sure you are ok. But as everyone is saying - the only person you can know the HIV status of 100% of the time is yourself, so if you don't see the test results with the name associated, and you're going by someone's word that they are negative, you can never be 100% sure. But I think your anxiety has taken this one over, I don't think you had a significant exposure at all, even if this woman is HIV positive, which you don't know. Again, the vast majority of our country is HIV negative, so to always assume that someone is HIV positive can sometimes cause your anxiety to go through the roof!

David

jony54 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
Thanks to everyone for the quick response, my other question is what do my symptoms look alike? Anxiety? Or could be caused by anything! And is it OK to get tested 6 weeks after the incident? I read lots of people say that 6 weeks it's pretty good %98 positive- regardless the official 3 month window?
Thank you
Jony

elle0317 replied to jony54's response:
Anxiety can really do a number on your body. Yes, all these 'symptoms' can be anxiety related.

jony54 replied to elle0317's response:
Thanks again for answering me, I saw my doctor today and she didn't find any lymph nodes, so am not sure if it's my neck muscles because I feel only the left side, anyway she said that it must be anxiety related, and I got tested again today for HIV so let see, maybe am worrying more than I should, it never happened to me before, I was always very careful.
Jony

jony54 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
Dear Doctor Malebranche,
I was kind of relived after I read your reply, since you mentioned that "I didn't have a significant exposure at all"...The scratch was minor on the foreskin, I'm not circumcised, and now that I've been thinking more of my exposure, I think it was not even longer than 10 seconds! The blood that I saw was mixed with other fluids, so it wasn't 100% blood maybe 20% or less. I got checked by two doctors about the lymph nodes and they both said no swelling at all, so I guess it was my anxiety playing tricks on me, but I can feel the sore muscles of my neck. The girl I had sex with just graduated from college, 22 year old African/American from NJ, I am mentioning her race and social status because I got scared from the internet, saying that African/American community has the largest number of HIV infections, I don't want to be skeptic but what I read did not help my anxiety at all!
What are my chances?
Thank you
Jony

jony54 replied to jony54's response:
WOW no answer! I posted here a week ago!

Nieciedo replied to jony54's response:
This information does not alter the answer that you have already been given.

There is very little chance that a 3-month test will disagree with the one you had a 5 weeks.

desperately replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
Does anyone know if I can get the Aids Virus from swallowing urine or eating semen of off a belly? I have a concern because my partner told said that his Virus has gone undetected for about a year now with the help of Meds. Is there a Doctor in the house.

georgiagail replied to desperately's response:
No. Why this is not a risk was answered on the STD forum.

Gail

Needhelppleas replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
I have a 2 part question:

I highly suspect I hava contracted HIV. (Partner turns out was openly positive about it) The last time I was tested was about 3 weeks and 2 days after infection date: my doctor did numerous HIV test on my antibody test, HIV 1 test, CBC, and test for viral load. (all test came back neg.) My symptoms are fatigue, light red skin rashes (not purplish) on bridge of nose under eyes, on back usually gone in about an hr. so I could never show my dr. muscle / body aches (especially my back) weak joints extreme trouble concentrating, reading, and slight blurred vision. Slight diareaha. Constantly notice food / dark spots in stool. stomach nausea (but no vomiting) no loss in weight, actually gained wieght. can't sleep a feel night bad short term memory loss. tomorrow 8/31 will be 5 weeks after infection. I know its not 3 months but how accurate are the tests at this point? My anxiety will not wait the entire 3 month period.

My other question is that I have read a lot online if HIV is caught in early stage you can live the same life span of someone Negative. Is there any truth to this.

Expert advice / opinnion and prompt response is greatly appreciated

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.