Skip to content
Chances of Contracting HIV FRom unprotected on night stand
An_192145 posted:
I am a 30 yr old heterosexual male. I had Intercourse with a 50+ yr old lady on july 18th 2010. For the last 4 to 5 weeks i have been suffering from a slight sore throat and a headache that comes and goes. I have a rash on the inside of my left thigh next to my scrotum. My scrotum is red and itchy for the past week. I was tested at about 3 weeks for hiv HSV1&2 all of which came back negative. I know it was too soon to get an accurate result but the my PCP said we should start. I get tested in October for my 3 month HIV test. My question is, What are my chances of contracting HIV from an unprotected One night stand and do the symptoms above sound like any of which would be a sign on HIV? Thanks for your time....

Nieciedo responded:
Your symptoms do not indicate HIV (HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms).

Your risk appears to have been unprotected vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown status.

The average estimated risk of infection for this activity with a woman known to carry the virus is 5 out of 10,000 or 1 in 2,000; your risk is much lower because your partner's status is unknown. If she did not have HIV, then she could not have given it to you and so the risk would be 0.

It is good that you are getting tested and testing is the only way to be sure of your status. The odds are heavily on your side, however, that you will be OK. Just remember to use a latex condom next time.

Dan

Onefine99 replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thanks for th reply. It helps tp put my mind at ease. I'm sure i am suffering from anxiety about all of this but i needed the reassurance.Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.