Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can you get hiv through period blood on a tiolet seat?
An_192153 posted:
I was using the bathroom, and I never sit when I use the bathroom and once I got up I noticed there was period blood on the toilet seat and the back of my underwear could have touched it. Could you get hiv from period blood and your underwear touched a little of it?

Nieciedo responded:
No.

There are only two risks for HIV that anyone really needs to be concerned about:

1. unprotected sexual intercourse

2. sharing IV needles

Toilet seats, even if there is mentrual blood on them and even if your underwear touches it, are not a risk.

Dan

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to Nieciedo's response:
Hello,

Dan is correct. First of all, unless someone you know was HIV positive and had their period at that same toilet, don't assume that the blood you noticed was from someone who is HIV positive. Second, if it was on the toilet seat, and the source of the blood WAS someone living with HIV (a HUGE assumption), if it was on the toilet, exposed to air, the virus would be killed within 1-2 minutes.

I don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about... enjoy your life and worry if you engaged in any of the behaviors like Dan outlined...

Hope that helps!

David

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.