Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Negative for HIV/ Died from AIDS
lynch65 posted:
I am doing a case study on a man who tested negative repeatedly to HIv testing while exhibiting fatigue, URI. CD4 count was 200. ELISA test still showed negative. 4 months later, after being admitted to the hospital with PCP, he tested negative again for HIV. He died three days later. Why would he test negative over and over even though his CD4 count clearly represented AIDS, which he ultimately died from in a short amount of time?

Nieciedo responded:
This may be a silly question, but did they ever run a viral load test on him to determine the presence of HIV in his blood?

georgiagail responded:
The attached article may answer some of these questions:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850901/

Remember that the ELISA screening test checks for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. In end stage AIDS the immune system is severely damaged (and folks die from infections their immune systems can no longer fight off). An end stage AIDS patients immune system may not longer be able to produce these antibodies; thus an ELISA test result may be "nonreactive".

Gail

lynch65 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,
You saved my life!!! That article answered what even an infectious disease doc I know could not answer. Bless you!!
Now, maybe you can go 2 for 2. Would lack of serum reactivity have a fast or slow progression from HIV to AIDS?
I searched the site the article was in and found a paper on it, however, it was literally Chinese to me despite being a nurse for years!!
Any suggestions?
Carole

lynch65 replied to Nieciedo's response:
This is a fictional case study and unfortunately, that info was not provided.

stresstime replied to lynch65's response:
gale,

i had a negative HIV test at 21 weeks after exposure. is it possible since i continue to have stomach pain, sore throat and diariha that i have progressed to the point that the HIV negative test would not pick up the antibodies?

Nieciedo replied to stresstime's response:
No.

It is not possible. It takes, on average, ten years for the virus to weaken the immune system to the point of AIDS.

You do not have HIV, and your symptoms are not caused by HIV.

Dan

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.