Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
1 instance that the condom broke....
An_192208 posted:
HI..

I got a broken condom on unknown sex worker here in Hong Kong, it lasted for 3 minutes...too late adn Im so terrific. She said she always do it with other client with condom and she's clean.

But after 5 days, I got some colds and running nose and cough (but SOMETIME slighht fever arounf 37.8 C) .. I did not take any meds except for one night of nyquil and one paracetamol when I got a slight fever.

It continue for 12 days, but I dont feel any flu, but my nose is still runny and blocked with yellow (sometime green) mocus...

Is it possible that I got infected with HIV ? Should primary infection symptoms should appear within 3-6 weeks after exposure ?

I dont have any rash, or swollen lymph nodes...except for this colds..

If you are infected, how many days you should have a high fever ?

What actually my risk of infections on one instance of broken condom on unknown sex worker?

Any reply that would ease my mind is appreciated..

Thanks you

Nieciedo responded:
The average estimated risk of infection for a man having unprotected vaginal intercourse with a woman known to be HIV is about 1 in 2000.

Your risk is much lower because of the relatively short duration of the exposure and the fact that you do not know the sex worker's status.

The symptoms you have experienced are probably just a cold. They appeared too soon and do not match up with what people experience after infection.

You should get tested at 90 days after this encounter, but the odds are on your side that you will be OK.

Dan

Kantotsupa replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thanks Dan,

You just ease my minds...right now It feels like nasal congestions..i keep on checking my temp (with the ear thermometer) and it does not go up to 37C, but I feel colds especially in my hands. It could be the HK Temp is now 18C outside and 21C inside.

Is the primary infections symptoms always have High Fever ?

How high and how long the fever ?

At any rate, I want to try those Oraquick or Unigold HIV Test kit..is that advisable? or should I wait for 90 days to get an HIV test in the clinic ?

Nieciedo replied to Kantotsupa's response:
HIV can't be diagnosed by symptoms because not every experiences all symptoms nor does everyone experience them to the same degree. It would be a good idea to stop checking your temperature and worrying about symptoms and just put this out of your mind until you can get a test done.

The Oraquick and Unigold tests are just as accurate as the more traditional methods. In fact, many clinics use these methods because they give results in 20 minutes or less. The important thing is to wait 90 days to make sure you are out of the window period. A test at 30 days, however, will give you a very good indication of your status that may give you some peace of mind.

Dan

I went anew to a doctor since my colds is not gettiing better...the doc told me that I have an acute sinusitis... but did not give me any antibiotic...

I will give it another 2 days...I can feel the pressure on my nasal and its giving me some headache... I also feels chills and slight fever that disappear after I drink some paracetamol.

I read that sunusitis is symptoms of people with HIV, but I got "possibly" exposed on 23 Nov...and my running noise stated 6 days after that.

It could be my anxiety that worsens this colds....luckily I dont feel any swollen lymph nodes or rash...

Is sinusitis could be an early symptoms of HIV ?

georgiagail replied to Kantotsupa's response:
As has been suggested before, stop attempting to diagnose HIV by symptoms. It can't be done.

Gail

Nieciedo replied to georgiagail's response:
Also, sinusitis is not a symptom of HIV anyway.

It's a symptom of the inflammation of the sinuses, which is hugely common this time of year.

Thanks Dan,

I just a little worried since this acute sinusitis is still here...regardless of decongestant..and I am having chill and slight fever that why I am taking paracetamol. Is sinusitis caused by HIV ? or the common colds virus ? could it be because my body is now having the acute HIV sysmptoms and my imune system is down ?

But this is the 2nd week only since my "possible" exposure...and this colds started 5 days after it.

I looking for swollen lymph nodes now and possible rash which I DONT have..
I now swear that I will use condom in any sex encounters !!!!

Dan has already told you that sinusitis is not a symptom of HIV.

Gail

Kantotsupa replied to georgiagail's response:
First, Thanks Gail/Dan for your time and reply.. In know that I am so troublesome...pls understand

I am getting so anxious and disrupting my life now... I dont see around the same thing as before....

It's quite hard to wait for the 30 days to get tested and it's taking toll on me.

Right now the fever subsides now (but the blocked nasal is still there, having still yellow green mucus) I am in Clarimothrycin now (250mg x4 each day)...Hopefully it will clear up my sinusitis.

I always think that ARS had weaken my immune systems .. I will be in the 3rd week tomorrow since the "possible" infection of unprotected insertive vaginal sex with unknown sex worker.

I have NO rash or swollen lymph nodes...

Is there a way to know, and ease my anxiety before the testing ?

Thanks

ARS doesn't weaken the immune system. Please be aware that in an HIV positive person it takes...literally....years for the immune system to be affected by the virus.

And I do mean years. One the average, it takes about a decade for HIV to move to AIDS in an untreated individual. There would be no way this virus would weaken your immune system in a 3 week time period.

Gail

Kantotsupa replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks gail...

I think I need to stop looking for assurance here in the web..

Since my risk is 1 to 2000 (If the girl is ) and I got no specific ARS Symptoms..

I will just wait for the 30days test..and control my anxiety...hopefully

Kantotsupa replied to Kantotsupa's response:
Hi Dan/Gail,

From my description as above...

1) What do you think of getting a PEP ? I know it could be too late, but is it worth it ?

As of now, I am just nursing my sinusitis and I am under antiobiotic Clarimotycin...

Thanks in Advance...

Nieciedo replied to Kantotsupa's response:
Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is prescribed only within 3 days of exposure.

Your risk honestly wasn't that high. Just try to put it out of your mind until you can get a test done.

Dan

Thanks Dan/Nierciedo,

I just go to the 30 days test....to ease my mind.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.