Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
oral sex
An_192233 posted:
I had gotten chlamidia and i had figured out it was my husband who gave it to me. I got treated for it and it was completly gone. He didnt know i had it, so he didnt know he had it too. Well we had sex again when we were trying to work things out. We did use a condom. But, we did have oral sex. I was wondering if i gave oral sex to him, could i still be at risk of getting any STD or HIV? No matter how many times we had oral sex? should i get checked?

Nieciedo responded:
You don't know that your husband has HIV, and any way oral sex is an extremely, extremely low risk for that virus.

Chlamydia is much easier to get, and if he was still infected when you performed oral sex on him then he could have passed the bacteria on to your throat. It wouldn't hurt to get this checked out.

Dan

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH responded:
Hello,

I would add that not communicating with your husband about this is NOT the way to go. If you haven't had any other sexual partners, you should feel confident discussing this with him in a non-judgmental manner. If you have had other sexual partners (I read that you "figured" out if was your husband, but you didn't mention if you had any other sexual partners yourself - and how did you figure this out?) - be honest with yourself and him about your relationship, fidelity and getting checked out. The worst thing you can do is just act like you didn't get it, didn't get treated, and have sex as usual. Because even if you do use condoms, and it was your husband who gave it to you, you could still get other STDs if you just got chlamydia and you continue to have sex like nothing has happened.

You should get checked, no doubt, but talk to your husband and get tested TOGETHER...

David

Elle0317 responded:
Yes, you can contract chlamydia again by giving him oral because he was never treated for it, meaning he likely still has it and possibly other STD's too. Why didn't you tell him?

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.