Skip to content
Legal action to take when a medical facility exposes you to HIV, and a few months later you test positive?
Smileyman posted:
This thought has crossed my mind several times now for months. I have continued to test negative for just about everything, yet I continue to get sicker and sicker. My question is "What legal action, or legal rights do I have if my medical facility has exposed me to HIV NOT ON PURPOSE but due to negligence.?"

Would a medical professional please give me some suggestions

Take the Poll

How would you feel if a medical facility exposed you to HIV?
  • Violated
  • Horrible
  • Confused
  • Sad
vote
View Poll Results

Nieciedo responded:
Legal issues vary by state and should be discussed with a lawyer.

As for your illness, if you consistently test negative for HIV it is reasonable to conclude that you do not have HIV and that your illness is not being caused by HIV.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Smileyman,

You mention being tested for many illnesses, but were you specifically tested for HIV? What were the results?

Our expert may be able to answer questions about your test results, symptoms, treatment, etc. However, Dr. Malebranche, nor WebMD may offer legal advice. I would encourage you to speak to an attorney about any negligence issues you are considering.

Of course, if I were exposed to a life threatening illness I would feel all of the above. I hope that is not the case for you and wish you luck in your search.

Andie
Knowledge is the antidote to fear. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smileyman replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
yes I have had one at the 90 point, and one ate 6.5 month point. Yet i continue to get worse and worse and worse. I also have verified the statuses of my past two sexual partners they both are negative. Thats why i was aking about what i should do about being exposed to it by a hospital where i have had dozens of blood related tests completed where by they also injected dyes and other things in me. I have tested negative for every single known std both forms of HIV, Hav, Hbv, Hcv, Syphilis, gon, clap, trich all of it yet i continue to get worse and worse. The next step logically would have been to check for cancer but they seem to be dragging their feet on actually finding the source instead they like giving me follow up appointments spaced weeks at a time. they have also lost the CT results for my skull so im pretty much i have zero faith in the medical period at this time.

Nieciedo replied to Smileyman's response:
It's clear that whatever you have, it's not HIV or an STD. I hope they can find another answer for you soon.

Dan

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.