Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hiv Scare and enlarged neck lymph gland
An_192268 posted:
I was intimate with a person who after told me was HIV positive. We were safe when we had sex but weren't when performing oral. I've been freaked out since this happened (7 months ago. I know. I need to get tested.) However I remember noticing a few months ago that my neck lymph gland was swollen. After reading webmd symptoms on hiv and that was one I'm convinced I have. I'm just wondering how many reasons there are for causing enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. If maybe there's a chance that I'm not infected. I havent been with many people and the one I have been I've always been safe with. I just don't see how I could get infected so I'm still hoping there's a chance for me.

Nieciedo responded:
There is practically no chance that you got infected from an oral encounter, and there are millions of reasons a lymph node (assuming it IS a lymph node) would swell in your neck.

Actually, one swollen node is more proof against HIV than for: if you had HIV, the virus would be found throughout your blood stream and you would be more likely to find swollen nodes in the your neck, armpits, and groin.

Also, after 7 months, you wouldn't be having any symptoms whatsoever. Many people who get infected have a short flu-like illness (which, like the flu, includes swollen nodes) 2-6 weeks after infection. These last a week or two then go away.

Oral sex is an extremely low risk activity. If you performed oral sex to ejaculation on an HIV-positive man, the average risk of infection is about 1 in 10,000; if you received oral sex from him the risk is even lower.

In general, testing is not necessary after an oral encounter. However, since the other party was known to carry the virus and since you are very worried, a test will put your mind at ease. Since it has been well over 3 months since this incident, any test you get now will be totally accurate and conclusive. I really don't think there is cause to worry here.

Dan

Smileyman responded:
put your mind at rest Anon, get a test done it can only help not hurt to be sure of your HIV status.

An_192269 replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thanks. that helps a lot. I just read on webmd swollen neck lymph nodes and it freaked me out. It was on the left side of my neck and when i googled a picture of neck lymph nodes it was the same two spots as in the picture and I can't recall ever having swollen neck lymph nodes before. I definitely am gonna go get tested, but I just needed my mind to be put at ease for a bit so I can actually sleep. Thanks.

ashler responded:
Did you get tested? Hopefully your result was negative.

I've got a swollen lymph node in the neck about 2 - 3 weeks after receiving oral sex from a girl of unknown status. HIV tests were negative (last one 9 months post incident)

georgiagail replied to ashler's response:
The previous postings were done 2 years ago so it is unlikely the posters are still around.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.