Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HIV Face Skin Rash
An_192273 posted:
"What does HIV sking rash on the face look like? I woke up after sex and noticed red, blotchy, flat areas on my lower cheek, side of face and forehead. They are not itchy or bumpy and look like small spider veins in some areas and in other areas they look blotchy. I have very fair skin and the areas are reddish purplish. This has happened twice in the past 2 months. Could it come from someone who didn't shave their face and rubbed against mine.There isn't any broken skin though." Could it be related to having an encounter with someone who is infected with HIV and if I am also infected with HIV then the rash manifest itself after contact?

Nieciedo responded:
This has nothing to do with HIV.

The rash that is listed among possible symptoms of initial HIV infection is part of the body's response against the virus. If it appears, it happens 2-6 weeks after infection together with other symptoms like fever, swollen lymph nodes and the like. So it is not something you would wake up with the day after an encounter and it is also not something that you would get twice.

When and if the rash occurs, it appears on the trunk of the body, not the face.

HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms. If then sex was protected - if a condom was used for all penetration and did not break - then there was no risk. If you did have a risky encounter, the only way to tell if you are infected is to get tested at 90 days after the encounter.

While we can't tell you what causes this face rash, we can say that it is not HIV.

Dan

An_192274 replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thank you Dan for your response. The initial shock of seeing a rash on my face that I had never seen was all too overwhelming. I have looked up many types of rashes and haven't seen an example. It looks to be beneath the skin, not on top of the skin. I'm hoping friction, maybe slight bruising might be the explanation. This has definitely raised my awareness and need for safe sex no matter how well you think you know your partner. These days, you never know if you're ok to have unprotected sex unless both parties have tested negative and of course, if you're both monogamous. I hope to find a simple explanation and do plan to see a physician. Thank you for your dedication to all those who visit this site looking for answers.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.