Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
off subjest
Smileyman posted:
I have been misdiagnosed for months and now it appear i either have meningitis or lymes disease. they over the past 5 months have either given me Amoxicilin and Doxycycline, or a z-pack, and one month i was given the meds used to kill trich.

My question would these meds slow down the progression of Meningitis, or Lymes disease since atleast some of them appear to be given to patients who are afflicted with these illnesses?

Smileyman responded:
I would like a medical professional to give me some advice since every doctor I go to seems not to care about finding the problem they just prescribe me amoxicilin and send me on my way it never seems odd to them that I keep coming back with the same problem, yet they ignore me when I asked to be tested for Meningitis, or when they claimed it was all part of my blood work it turns out they never did it at all. I am literally dying I can feel my body beginning to shut down.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Smileyman's response:
Hi Smileyman,

You're in a very frustrating situation when your doctors can't seem to diagnose what's ailing you. I feel for you and others that have to go through this.

Meningitis in adults is not very common, but as I'm sure you're aware, it can be life-threatening if left untreated. According to WebMD people with a greater risk of meningitis are those who are taking drugs that suppress the immune system.

Dr. Malebranche is away this week, but he may have some insight when he returns. Until then, I might encourage you to use the WebMD Drugs & Medications tool to research the drugs you mentioned.

Sorry I can't be more help. Please keep asking your doctors questions and stay on top of this. I hope you find out something soon!
Knowledge is the antidote to fear. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smileyman replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
it is i suggested MRSA but all they tell me is that if it was MRSA it would have killed me by now :( which is not really comforting cause the pain wont go away, and my recent ct scan shows that my sinus disease has spread to the bones which may indicate fungal sinusitis not bacterial

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to Smileyman's response:
Dear Smileyman,

Truth is, if any of these doctors thought you had acute meningitis caused by a bacteria, they would've admitted you to a hospital for IV antibiotics, as this condition is rapidly fatal.

The medications you listed are often used for acute sinus infections, and doxy is often used for Lyme disease, but the doctors would need to do additional tests top prove that. Lyme disease is not common unless you are living in an area of the country where it is frequently carried by ticks and you have done some hiking or camping and was bit by a tick.

I wish I could be of more help, but not seeing you in a clinical setting and being able to do an exam on you and get my own labwork, there's no way I can speculate as to what is going on with you. Best advice I can give you is that if you feel something's wrong and previous doctors have been missing the boat, get another opinion. We can't make these kind of calls on your clinical diagnosis on the computer. Its almost impossible to do.

David

Smileyman replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
I agree I forced them to retest i was correct i have a very large sinus infection and it requires and operation i go under tomorrow afternoon! only issue is that doxycycline and predisone caused my bp to reach 190/80 and i could not breath i was lucky a nieghbor brought me to the ER i would not be alive if had not....... took about a day to get be stabilized and two weeks to get the meds to clear my system. happy to not be dead right now

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to Smileyman's response:
Good to hear they made a correct diagnosis - good luck with the surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery... I applaud you for being persistent in finding out what was wrong...

David

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.