Skip to content
tested negative
name39 posted:
I recently was tested for HIV and tested neg. I have received unprotected oral from a woman that hasn't told me she is pos. but now has many symptoms as I do as well. I have noticed she has reddish purple spots on her skin that are now obvious as do. I have a dry cough that i cant shake excess phlem , nausia, vomiting, no appetite etc..... I know I need to go get tested again...thats not my question I just want to know if there is anywhere that has information on getting a confidential test done not one thats reported to the government but one thats kept between me and my doctor ......I was also curious to know why the government wants to know about people that have aids ....How is my health issue any of their concern?

FF_concerned responded:
Call your local hospital, most can do rapid test or call your local drug store they now make in home tests that only you will know the results of.

Nieciedo responded:
First, receiving unprotected oral is such an extremely low risk for HIV that it is exceedingly unlikely you were infected in this manner.

When did this encounter take place? The symptoms you describe are not indicative of the early infection stage which begins 2-6 weeks after infection and lasts about 1-2 weeks. The symptoms of this stage are identical to the flu. It takes on average 10 years for an untreated person to advance to the AIDS stage, when opportunistic infections would set in.

As for the difference between confidential and anonymous testing, your health is the government's concern because HIV is still an epidemic and it's the government's job to protect public health. Tracking the spread of the disease and its progression in patients is an important part of controlling it and learning about how to treat and hopefully some day clear it. The information received by state Health Departments is kept confidential and not disclosed to other parties.

In New York State, the only options for anonymous testing are available from state government clinics. Other states have may have different laws.

name39 replied to Nieciedo's response:
It was about 6 yrs ago, I only know the woman I had the encounter with now by chance, as I met her again later and we have become friends. I understand that the government would like to see how the disease reacts in people but they shouldnt need my name and personal information to do so. wouldnt assigning people a number or something be an easier way? Also the words confidential and government sound funny in the same sentence. These people screw up things all of the time and im sorry but i dont want my status to become general knowledge.

georgiagail replied to name39's response:
If your event took place 6 years ago and your test was done at least 90 days after this, there is absolutely no need for further testing.

When I was tested after an attack, I went to my local health department for testing. No names were given; I was assigned a number.

IF I had tested positive, it is quite likely they would have requested further information on me (however, they could not have forced me to provide this) as well as encouraging me to contact any partners I had after the event suggesting that they too, undergo screening tests.

Gail

name39 replied to georgiagail's response:
While I thank you for taking the time to respond Georgia, If you took the time to read what i have posted you would realize that I have many symptoms of HIV and dont feel comfortable with the test that i had previously received also please dont go and google statistics for me as i know it is very unlikely for me to have gotten aids in the manner that i have described i know that it is also very unlikely for a test to come back false pos. I know these facts but......IT DOES HAPPEN, and who knows maybe im just lucky that way. I WLL get tested again soon as it will give me more peace of mind and more confidence in the test results one way or the other and will also post the results one way or the other

georgiagail replied to name39's response:
Actually I did take "the time" to read your post and quite frankly, your dry cough, nausea, vomiting and lack of appetite could be due to many things, none of which have anything to do with HIV. We do not attempt to diagnose HIV or AIDS based only on symptoms. We look at risk and respond from that view. As Dan has pointed out, unprotected oral (both giving and receiving) carries an extremely low risk of transmission (the stats I won't mention since you do not appear to be interested in those).

I do not "google" HIV statistics. These are the same statistics that we use for everyone who posts here concerned that they are HIV positive based on symptoms (and despite negative test results), including those who have great difficulty believing both these results and what we post here in terms of their risk.

By all means get tested again if you believe that you must and let us know your results. They will undoubtedly be negative. At that point you can apologize for your attitude toward what Dan and I have been attempting to address with you.

Gail

FF_concerned replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail is exactly right, you really need to belive your results. I just got mine back today, negetive, I belive them. I know for experience it can be hard going through what you are, but you only making yourself feel worse by doing all this worrying. Try talking to a doctor if you havient already. Further more your symptoms have lasted too long and as to those "spots" you have did you ever concider in-grown hairs or adult acne? Josh

name39 replied to georgiagail's response:
My attitude?? lady you had an attitude from your first response to my post. Are you a doctor? Just wondering because you seem to think you are the end all be all on the subject....You shouldn't insult people.....or be condescending towards people that are going through a very hard time in their life I suggest u examine the way you speak to people and maybe work on a kinder approach to dealing with people. I will post my test results here in the future one way or the other...But i wont apologize to someone who is clearly wrong in the way they deal with people. so please don't hold your breath.

name39 replied to FF_concerned's response:
Its not hairs, its not acne i know what acne looks like they are not on the skin they are under my skin as far as i know ingrown hairs and acne don't cause that type of mark under theskin

FF_concerned replied to name39's response:
Look im not a dermatoligest but you cant have KS yet. It only appears in end stage hiv/aids, which takes on avrage of 10 years. Im not a doctor just a paramedic so I cant dignose you but it sounds like you being a bit of a hypercondract. Your test was negetive and you cant take good news like that, I think there is something eles wrong. I would call a skin doctor and get one more test then move on, life is too short to dwell over this. Josh

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.