Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Please some expert help me!
An_192352 posted:
I have an hiv test tomorrow. They said it will take a week to get the results back and im really freaking. I gave what I belive are swollen glands in my neck, sore throat, headache, and im getting weird brownish spots. I had unprotected sex in march. My allergies flaired up with a runnie nose, cough, and sore neck in mid april, but it all got better with claritin d. Please im really worried to the point that I cant sleep. I just wanna cry. Bio.... Im a 22 y/o m in what I belive good health, I smoke.

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH responded:
Hello,

Don't despair yet or think with the glass half empty - its perfectly natural to be anxious and scared about getting HIV and STD results. All you can do is wait at this point, and I imagine you will be getting the results this week - so just go in for your follow up and be ready for whatever results come your way. A wise counselor used to tell me as a med student when I was getting HIV tested then that "you should always have in your mind what you would do if you did test positive." In other words, hope for the best, but be prepared for any bad news. I'm happy that you were wise enough to go get tested, as many do not, even after having sex without condoms, so know that you are amazing for being responsible and knowing your status - that, my friend, is half the battle.

Please keep us udpated and while there's nothing I can say about your symptoms described that will assure you that you DON"T have HIV, just go to the follow up and bottle up this feeling of anxiety you have next time you are about to have sex without a condom so you can make the best decision for yourself....

David

An_192353 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
Hi Doc thanks for the reply I got my results back, NEGETIVE. Im sooo happy. Ill never be so foolish again. How accurate are they at this point. They drew blood so im guessing its a standered test.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to An_192353's response:
Hi Anon,

Very good to hear! I'm so happy that you got back your negative result. Now just follow the doctor's advice and play safe next time.

I hope you'll come back to see if you might be able to offer support for someone else that may be going through the same thing. I'm sure your experience that you shared with us here will also impact someone else's life in a good way.

Thank you and best of luck to you!

~Andie
Knowledge is the antidote to fear. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.