Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AIDS..AND BLACK WOMEN
An_192364 posted:
I read all the time that Aids is at a high rate among African-American women. Sooo..It got me to wonddering why.... So as I was talking to a good friend of mine, She had told me of the recent slip up she has had with a few men. Which means using no condem..I asked why..Why would you risk your life for 30min of pleasure that could cause you the rest of your life..And you got 3 kids...She had no response. When asked about an aids test she turned on me...HAd i had mine. Well I just had major surgery. I was tested for everything under the sun so They told me everything was fine. I ALWAYS USE CONDEMS..AND WHEN THEY DONT HAVE ONE . YOU TAKE A COLD SHOWER AND GO HOME.

Which got me to thinking..Have we stopped talking about HIV AND AIDS? I SEE AMONG MY FRIENDS THEY REALLY DONT THINK ABOUT IT. That really worries me. I know cause they go from man to man. Moving in and then you know the condems are a fond memory.......Have my friends just forgotten about the risk.

I always have felt there is just not enough info in lower -income communities.that are primary minorites. There are clinics and slim info, but just not enough to ..I GUESS..scare some of these women.....Then is it just that we dont want to face it....or is it that we should take account on ourselves to know the risk....

I guess it wuold take some education to know that our bodies are temples.Beautiful curves of blessings. That we are more than 30min of pleasure..That if you not careful..could cause you a lifetime of pain. Maybe ..just maybe ...we can put this epidimic in the forfront for peps toopen there eyes and ears to education..TO JUST BE SMART ABOUT IT.....

I AM JUST SAYING

SHANNON
I AM JUST SAYING....

divachic1 responded:
SORRY ITS ''CONDOMS NOT CONDEMS,"

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for sharing your story and for the very inspiring plea to spread awareness. I agree, we need to step up our pace and let even more people know about the risks of unsafe sex.

There are several HIV/AIDS awareness days where the public bands together to spread the word. You might like to get involve in one of these:

You can check out those links above to see if you might be able to pitch in. Or do a quick Google search for any events in your local area. Heck, if you're spunky enough, you could even organize your own Awareness Walk or something as small as handing out literature on the street.

Thanks again for the inspiration! I hope you'll come back often.

~Andie

check out this post and see if you can find some way to pitch in!
Knowledge is the antidote to fear. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.