Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood in eye through mosquito
Anon_126579 posted:
On Sunday, I was driving a scooter the other day about 30mph through an area where there were about 20 people standing by. It was a very humid day and a bug got right into my eye under my glasses. I wiped the bug off. I'm pretty sure it was a mosquito bc there have been plenty of those around town due to the humid weather. Am I at risk for HIV since mosquitos carry blood inside them? Why or why not?

Nieciedo responded:
While this a gross and unfun thing to happen, you cannot get HIV from a mosquito.

HIV is the Human Immunodeficiency Virus and can only survive in the context of a human body. Blood-consuming parasites like mosquitos, fleas, ticks, lice, leeches, etc. cannot transmit the virus.

If HIV could be transmitted by mosquito, it would follow a completely different contagion pattern, like malaria. It doesn't.

Dan

benlac replied to Nieciedo's response:
Hey Dan,

I realize this was posted two years ago, but I'm replying anyways.

A mosquito digests HIV, but surely it can't completely digest the disease immediately upon feeding.

Is there any reason a mosquito couldn't transmit the virus if it fed on someone and then immediately flew into your eye?

I tried to look up if mosquito saliva would kill the virus, but couldn't find any information on it.

Cheers
Ben

georgiagail replied to benlac's response:
No, this is not a risk for HIV transmission.

Gail

benlac replied to georgiagail's response:
Hey Gail,

Is it no-risk because the virus is too fragile to transmit in the presence of saliva & stomach fluid?

Do you know the reasoning behind this?

I've read it's no risk but no one seems to state why.

Thanks!

Ben

georgiagail replied to benlac's response:
Because there's never been a recorded case of someone becoming infected from a mosquito feeding on a person who carried the virus and then immediately flying into someones eye.

Folks often worry about all sorts of strange scenarios regarding transmission that just never happen.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.