Infected?
moggy1982 posted:
Normally, I'm extremely careful about sexual situations. However, this past August, I was in a situation where I had semen (actually, I think it was precum) on the inside of my right hand. This was from a guy I didn't know. I had a small cut on my left thumb, which was bandaged. As soon as I could - within a few minutes - I washed my hands with soap and water to wash away any precum. I don't think my cut was bleeding since it was two or three days old but it could have been, I'm just not sure. I'm getting myself tested in a couple of weeks (the three-month date), but am very concerned. How worried should I be? Thank You.

Nieciedo responded:
You should not be worried at all, and testing is not necessary (except as a regular precaution taken by everyone who is sexually active).

Your left thumb (which was not even on the hand that came in direct contact with the fluids) was bandaged, so it's unlikely any sexual fluids passed through. Also, the cut would have long since closed by clotting and thus would no longer have been an open portal into your blood stream. It is 100% categorically totally and unquestionably impossible for you to have gotten HIV from this encounter. If this is your only "risk," then your test results are guaranteed to be negative.

Dan

moggy1982 replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thanks for your reply. Of course I'm worried, so naturally my mind has started drifting towards the possiblity that there might have been another cut somewhere on my hands, perhaps the same one that came into contact with the fluid. Hypothetically, what is the likelihood of contracting something from having a cut on the same hand that came into contact with the fluid? I think that the cut would have to be open and have direct contact. This type of scenario is what I have difficulty finding out about. This incident was not sex; it was sexual in nature but could also be classified as casual touching - there just happened to be semen involved. What is the likelihood of risk here?

Nieciedo replied to moggy1982's response:
It's still a non-risk. Again, the cut wound would need to be open, meaning that it would have to be freshly made so that blood is still coming out (if blood can come out, than infections can get in). How likely is that?