Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Influenza a and HIV
wingsofeagle posted:
Hello, First, thanks so much for the work you do!

I gave and received both protected anal sex and unprotected oral sex with a male friend about 5 weeks ago and up to this week (sorry to be graphic but I did actually slip into him while grinding 1 time - in and out as a top). Because I was an unprotected top, even if it was a brief moment, was this risky? It really was an accident.

I came down with a headache, and fever this week and completely sweat through my clothes at night waking up drenched. Went to md and he performed a flu test and blood work. Tested positive for influenza a through a nasal swab test. Started tamaflu and still have headache and fever. No swelling of lymph nodes or rash. So, I know I have the flu.

Two questions: 1. If HIV is a strand of influenza a, and I test positive for influenza a, is it possible (even remotely) that I don't have the flu and have HIV? 2. Could tamaflu help me if I did have HIV?

Thanks!

wingsofeagle responded:
Sorry...I guess this is a dumb question. If I could rephrase...

Can HIV show up as being positive for for flu a?

My white cell cd4 counts are normal. If I was seroconverting would they be lower?

Thanks

Nieciedo replied to wingsofeagle's response:
First things first: HIV is not a strand of influenza. It has nothing whatsoever to do with influenza beyond the fact that they are both viruses and, as such, cause similar symptoms during the initial infection period.

A test for influenza is designed only to return results for flu, and an HIV test is designed only to return results for HIV. A flu test would not tell you anything about HIV, and an HIV test wouldn't tell you anything about flu.

So, to answer your questions:

1. You definitely have the flu. The test you had done gives you no information whatsoever about your HIV status. Your HIV status is totally independent and unconnected with whether you have the flu.

2. Unfortunately, Tamiflu does not provide any benefit for HIV.

Now, for your risk:

Oral sex, both giving an receiving, is such an extremely, extremely low-risk activity that it is generally not worth worrying about.

Unprotected anal penetration is a bit riskier. The average estimated risk of infection for a man in the top role with a bottom known to be HIV-positive is about 1 in 1500, but that assumes a typical sexual act, not just a brief insertion. Since you don't know your partner's HIV status, the chances that you were infected from this encounter are much, much lower.

You should probably get tested at 90 days for peace of mind, but I don't think you really have much to worry about.

Dan

Nieciedo replied to wingsofeagle's response:
CD4 cell counts would not be affected by HIV for many years after infection in an untreated person, so that is likewise not an indicator - one way or the other - of your status.

The only way to determine your status is an HIV test. For a conclusive result you would need to get tested 90 days after the encounter. However, a test now will be over 95% accurate and may give you some peace of mind.

Dan

wingsofeagle replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thanks so much for the reassurance. I will get tested in about a month for HIV.

I can't tell you how valuable this discussion board is. You can answer wquestions with authority that my general practitioner got wrong. You guys are awesome! Thanks sooooo much!

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.