Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
HIV Risk
hope222 posted:
I am a gay male.. I started dating a guy back in late June of 2011. We did not have any sexual encounters and both were tested the end of August for HIV before we decided to have sex. We both tested negative. He had not had sexual relations with anyone for over 2 years and I had not had sexual relations unprotected for over 4 months leading up to the test.

We had unprotected sex over the last 3 months.. I felt fine and we broke up 11/26/11

Last week I have given oral sex to another male and had proctected Anal sex (I was the top) with an old friend who was back in town, a condom that did not break, I pulled out and removed the condom and ejaculated on a towel . The oral sex I gave oral sex.. but did not have any ejaculation or cuts in my mouth.

I now feel very very tired this week and have had abdominal pain and had flashes, no fever, but can't wake up and have no energy.

what is my risk? does this sound like HIV?

Nieciedo responded:
HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms: the only real way to tell if you have been at risk is to assess your behavior.

In general, you seem to have taken significant precautions to protect yourself. The only potential area for concern regards your sexual partner this summer and fall. It boils down to weather you trust him about his sexual history, his test results, and whether or not he was having unprotected sex with anyone else during the time you were together.

Your symptoms do not match up with what is reported by people who get infected with HIV and given the time of year, it's entirely likely that you could be coming down with the flu or one of the other fun ailments that go around. I wouldn't worry about it unless the symptoms increase or don't go away.

As for HIV, I think it would be a good idea to get tested 3 months afrer the end of the recent relationship, on or around 2/24/12, to close the book on the issue and remove any doubt.

Dan

hope222 replied to Nieciedo's response:
I def will get checked.. I trust him 100% we were a couple for over 2 months before we had sex and then were together 3 months after. I know neither one of us cheated. I def saw his negative test results as we went together,

Thanks for the response. I will get check here in about a month.

So oral sex is a very very low risk? for the giver? reciever?

Nieciedo replied to hope222's response:
If you trust him, then you really have no need to worry since you took all the right precautions. Regular HIV testing (once every 6 months) is a good idea for everyone who is sexually active, so just get tested in February and make it a regular habit.

Oral sex is an EXTREMELY low HIV risk for the giver, and practically no risk for the receiver.

Dan

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to hope222's response:
Hello sir,

First let me agree with everything Dan said

Second let me commend you on doing a lot of things right - getting tested with a partner together, taking precautions with condoms with the friend with benefits. I think you should take time to acknowledge that you are doing the right thing on several levels!

Finally, I don't think you're risk is high at all. Oral sex is really extremely low risk, if not no risk at all. Of course the receiver is less at risk, but even the giver isn't at any risk, unless they have a large cut in their mouth and there's a good amount of precum or semen that gets in the open wound, from a partner who is hiv positive, and NOT on medications. In other words, a lot of conditions would have to be met for oral sex to be a risk at all. And can you imagine if HIV was easy to catch through oral sex? Almost everyone would have it if that was the case.... the vast majority of people do not use condoms or dental dams with oral sex, so just logically, one would have to understand that you have to do more than oral sex to put yourself at risk for HIV.

That said, oral sex can transmit gonorrhea, syphilis, warts and herpes - so don't think that you have no risk for everything because you just do oral sex. Get checked up regularly regardless, just a good idea - like getting your blood pressure, cholesterol and yearly physical exams done.

David

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.