Skip to content
Risk?
hope222 posted:
Last night I had sex with another gay male a friend of mine introduced me to.

I was the top he was the bottom. When we first started he sat on my dick bare and I immediately told him to get off and put on a condom.. (5-8 sec span). We had sex for a bit than stopped no ejaculation occurred. We then started making out again and the same thing happened and I again immediately said I need a condom on I don't dpo bare... I pulled out and we then had sex with a condom to ejaculation.

The guy and my friend who introduced me to him both say he is 100% clean but I am freaking out I never play unsafe and this is making me lose sleep and appetitie.

Please advise me of the risk or steps I should take.

I did not see any blood or have an cuts/etc on my dick after .... but soooo nervous.

Nieciedo responded:
Your risk, from 2 extremely brief instances of unprotected anal penetration, is extremely low.

Since the rectum does not produce fluids of its own, the primary risk of infection for the top is from blood shed by cuts and abrasions in the rectal wall due to intercourse. The brevity of the exposure combined with the lack of certainty of the bottom's HIV status mean that the odds of you getting infected from this encounter are exceedingly small and barely worth worrying about. If you consider that the average estimated risk of infection for a top having an average episode of unprotected anal intercourse with a bottom known to be HIV positive is approximately 1 in 1500, then I think you'll understand that a few seconds of contact with someone who you're not sure even has the virus will be much less risky.

However, you don't want this to become a habit so I would recommend a test at 90 days. As a general rule, everyone who is sexually active (regardless of how careful he or she may be) would do well to get tested every six months just to be sure. Also, less serious STDs like gonorrhea and chlamydia can be much more easily transmitted by this kind of contact, so it would not be a bad idea to get screened for those as well.

Dan

hope222 replied to Nieciedo's response:
I am extremly tired and have very bad stomach pains/cramping.. i keep getting very warm and flush. not eating much cause i am so nervous of the 2 brief unprotected moments!!

Nieciedo replied to hope222's response:
I totally understand why you are nervous.

However, it's been 4 days or so since the encounter. It usually takes 2 to 6 weeks for infected people to exhibit any symptoms, and when they look and feel just like the flu.

Whatever is causing these symtoms of yours, it's too early for it to be HIV related. Also, stress and anxiety are probably contributing to the problem.

Dan

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.